Boxfish!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jnance

Sailing Anyone?
Whats up steve, or anybody. i have always had a liking to the boxfishes, and puffers but my tank has many of inverts in it, no corals yet, but definately a few shrimp. whats the scoop are boxfish as agressive as puffers. puffers are already ruled out in my book but i would much like to acquire a young boxfish if possible to join the community. thanks for your knowledge.

-jordan.

When I researched putting a boxfish into my reef I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be a good idea. No doubt you've heard they can release toxins when stressed or if they die (rare but it happens). Aside from that, some species will get VERY large and lose their coloring. I have never personally seen one like this but from what I've read they can get over a foot in length and look quite ugly IMO -- not at all like the juvenile coloring.

It's also my understanding they will eat corals but I don't know this from personal experience, only that of others I've read about. They are also prone to skin conditions and ich, so be ready to deal with those if you take the plunge.

I did used to have a spotted boxfish in my fish-only tank before he was eliminated in the great plague of 2001. He was a great fish. You might consider the longhorned cowfish. They of course also have their cons, but might be more suitable for a reef if you have a peaceful tank and low flow.

Steve can give you better information than me; good luck.

I also considered a boxfish for a while..... unfortunatly, everything I looked at said to stay away from them in a reef environment with inverts. They are so cool looking, but I believe their personalities are almost the same as a puffer fish.

A 30 gal breader is no place for a boxfish or a puffer (Arothron sp., Diodon sp. etc). Box's/cowfish etc have the same basic concerns. Being able to provide an appropriately size, clean, stress free system and the proper diet. More often, the diet and "housing" fall very short. Their special dietary needs along with the need for very timid/meek tank mates and less than reef water flow makes them less than ideal for most except species set ups. Even a community tank of "shy" fish often does not have a very good outcome.

Back