Bracing A 48" Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

If you have a table saw and router two sheets of 3/4 oak or birch plywood is all that would be needed to build you a fairly nice stand. 2x material belongs under drywall.:)

Don

Speaking to my heart... Im covered in dust right now from sanding drywall compound... So what your saying is that I can cut up a few sheets, screw it together to form a box of sorts, and have a sturdy stand?

Speaking to my heart... Im covered in dust right now from sanding drywall compound... So what your saying is that I can cut up a few sheets, screw it together to form a box of sorts, and have a sturdy stand?

That is exactly what BigT did on his, He has a thread on it somewhere here & it is stout. I went extra long, tall & wide on mine so I went with 2x4's but that isn't the typical stand.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136&highlight=bigT

If you have the ability to cut rabbits and dado's no screws just glue. You can make a fine stand. More moisture stable and probably stronger than 2x material. Just depends on what tools you own.

Don

Scooter, Im looking for his threads, but most of his older pics are gone.

Don, I dont have a table saw... so no dado either. How about biscuts? I may be able to get accese to a cutter. I can see where your going with the dado and that sounds nice. I will have to call around and see if anyone close has a table saw. I dont own much of the nice woodworking stuff. without going into too much detail, mostly framing equipment, but I do have a router.

Have a skill saw? A couple clamps to hold a straight edge, and you are there

Agreed that is all that is needed. Use the simple three point connection rule and you will have one very strong stand. Meaning that each panel needs three connections by rabbit or dado.

Don

Have a skill saw? A couple clamps to hold a straight edge, and you are there

Good piont. Now that I think about it, I have a damn fine skill saw. I could just slap on a guide to it, make a few passes, and that would make my groove! How could I make the tounge with the router? Clamp a piece of wood to my material to use as a strait edge/guide for the router?

Good piont. Now that I think about it, I have a damn fine skill saw. I could just slap on a guide to it, make a few passes, and that would make my groove! How could I make the tounge with the router? Clamp a piece of wood to my material to use as a strait edge/guide for the router?

That is how I do it, I brought a 8ft aluminum guide that you can clamp down & use that for a skill or router.

Back