Brackish transformation.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jnance

Sailing Anyone?
hello steve and everyone, get ready for an odd question. once my first fish tank ever was cycled i purchased my first fish which was a brackish scat. (saved the little guy from petco) anywho i was told by this man at a LFS that brackish fish can be slowly acclimated, over the course of a few weeks to the salinity of a marine environment. is this true? could i potentially purchase a brackish fish, put him in my QT tank, and change the salinity over the course of two weeks to 1.023-.024? any thoughts at all will help, simply curious if this idea is credible in the slightest.
THANKS.

Last edited:
Certain brackish fish species can be transitioned over to full salt, others cannot. It's not that "black & white" so to speak. Some will do just fine, others while they will tolerate the change, see their live spans shortened to a certain degree.

Scats in particular (species?), can and are kept successfully in full strength (35 ppt) seawater. Transitioning should be done at the rate of 0.001/day or slower. Natural evaporation with matching salinity top off water is the easiest means.

Back