Brand new to this

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hello;

You have some good advice here. I would set the tank up ASAP with the fishless cycle method --- chop up a shrimp and throw it in. You do not need any substrate or rock to start your tank --- bacteria like hard dark surfaces but will eventually be on everything in the tank. I say ASAP because if your tank is cycled, then you can put your live rock in and let it die off and cycle with less of an ammonia spike in the tank. This will cause less die off on your rock.

Nitrite --- not much of a problem in a salt tank as the salt makes nitrite much less toxic.

So, if you have a problem in a fresh water tank with nitrite add salt.

Skimmers selection is your own --- but, coral life needle wheel skimmers are great I use one and they create a lot of fine bubbles and flow. A skimmer will only produce skimmate when there is something to skim so you don't need a monster. Dry skimmate leaves a lot in the tank so I would suggest a wet skim until you finish your cycle.

Tangs are nice --- but, they take a bite of anything that looks like a meal when they pass by. I have a couple of brown leathers and they are my tangs snack food. I would add some algae --- I drop Chaeto in and my tang eats it all day. ( I call him PIG)

I mix some of my food and just buy a seafood mix at Wal-Mart or Cosco and add vitamins and for one bag I add seaweed --- Chaeto or whatever I harvested lately. I use a gallon zip lock and flatten the food thin and keep it in the freezer. I make a few bags at a time and this lasts for a couple of months. Tangs will eat meaty foods but need seaweed as part of there diet --- they will eat most algae in the tank (don't like hair algae much) even off the tank walls.

I would QT any fish especially a Tang --- 4-weeks in hyposalinity --- 1.010. This is better than chasing your sick fish with a net around your live rock for hours later.

I like 4-weeks QT some like less time --- some just watch the fish in QT with normal water parameters --- your choice here.

If you can get or find someone in your area with a fresh water tank ---- ask for some of the gunk from his siphon cleaning of the gravel. Dump it in for a quicker cycle --- same bacteria and the diseases if any will not live in salt water. I do this all the time --- even just change water from fresh to salt and back --- but, I have UGF's so I have an advantage.

Enjoy!

OFM

Drill the tank. The number of people who regret not having a drilled tank by far exceed those who wish they had not drilled.
Go with either two 1-1/4" overflow bulkheads (or if you only want one), a 1-1/2" overflow bulkhead. Buy the bulkhead(s), and measure to determine what size hole(s) to drill.

Hello;

Depending on what you are going to place in the (sump or refugium) there may not be need for flow above 200-gph. A deep sand bed with Algae for Nitrate control does not need a lot of flow.

If you plan on using it as a frag or grow out tank then flow needs to be adjusted depending on the species of Coral.

I would advise you to not purchase a skimmer for flow. I would purchase one with a needle wheel as you can get one of these at a lower price. There are many good ones but larger units cost more.

I also agree with the advice to get your tank up and running with good live substrate first, then, add to and arrange your tank little by little.

I wish you luck :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definition of Bored : "To be without options or variables!"

"OFM"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy!

OFM

Back