Brazil Dragon Eel

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Varez

hey i am interested in this Eel and the Hawaiian ones, what is the difference in them? i am VERY into the teeth on the Hawaiians, do the brazil ones have the fangs to or more like teeth of the snowflakes?

I can't help you on this one. Maybe others know. You may in the end have to do an in depth search on the Internet to get answers. There are a few sites that describe and help identify fishes, their habits, aquarium needs, etc. :)

Lee, perhaps I could be of some assistance? I not been checking in on things here because I already gotten together a cleaning crew and fish selection for when im too start the 180 reef tank.

"Brazil Dragon Eel"

This eel in which was giving the name Brazilian Dragon Eel is really the Whitespot moray (Muraena pavonina)

Its a more often common mistake happening more and more for so many links which are indentifying eel species are twisting up their scientific and common names. This problem has become much worst in the past decades. As is, there are so many other cousins in this genus that are as yet misidentified, for north in the Australian waters are six to eight of these distant cousins (Dragon Moray eel) which as yet im as yet to be identified, and this is only in the Australian waters a lone.

One other thing I might add is, the name Brazilian Dragon Eel is only a fancy giving name to the Whitespot moray and not a professional giving name. I believe that this came about due to on line live stock providers before it was acknowledged in the LFS. Still your search for any basic material of this species will come up mostly empty when doing the search under the name of Brazilian Dragon Eel..

So yes, they are different in many ways, as well in their skin coloration, but differ none in their aggressive behavior when hungry. They not have teeth as the SFE, if in the same tank, it must be of a larger tank size in order to provide free space and hiding spots. The eels in general, must have a hiding place in which they be in total darkness.

Long term in like lets say a 120 gal tank, you have a adult SFE and Whitespot moray, there can be no guarantee that the Whitespot moray will never bite at the SFE. Successes are limited somewhat in smaller tanks while their eels are still young juveniles. This eel will grow slightly less then 2'

They are found in the area East of South America, from the point of Brazil in a wide area of more then 1000 square miles and as close to Africa shores of more then 2,000 miles away (from Africa).

Buddy

PS. I should add as well on the teeth question that the Whitespot moray fangs arents as long as the Dragon Morays are for which the Whitespot moray is quite able to close its jaws too where as the Dragon Morays cannot ;)

Last edited:
Back