Breeding brine shrimp in my refigium??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

danhamer1988

Im new to keeping a marine tank and my tank has nothing living in it yet but im having 300litres of ready mixed marine water delivered tomorrow and I have the live rock and live sand although im not sure just how "alive it is". I was thinking of adding some new live rock to the rock I have now and storing it together in a drum of saltwater for 2 weeks or so, hoping it will breath new life into the live rock a friend gave to me. The main question I was wondering is what will I need in my refigium to breed brine shrimp in it as a continuous source of food for when I get my fish and things? any water temps or particular light requirements or plant life anything like that? so far in the refigium there is live rock and live sand that's it.

Your best bet for the health of your tank & fish would be to seed your fuge & tank with Copepods and Amphipods.
Brine shrimp actually have very little nutritional value and are mostly used as a treat.
Brine Shrimp require very high salinity. Much higher then our reef aquariums. You will not be able to breed them in your fuge.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

That is not true of newly hatched brine though. They do have value when they are still feeding off their egg sack....
oh, and ifI remember right, reefs2go has a buy one get one on pods right now

Adding good live rock is always the best bet.
Brine shrimp is easy to raise if desired for feeding baby fish, but would be a total pain in the fuge.

That is not true of newly hatched brine though. They do have value when they are still feeding off their egg sack....
oh, and ifI remember right, reefs2go has a buy one get one on pods right now

Yeah good for the first 12hrs only. I was hatching them out for my Scooter. Not worth the effort.

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Adding good live rock is always the best bet.
Brine shrimp is easy to raise if desired for feeding baby fish, but would be a total pain in the fuge.

You've had success raising brine, or was this meant to mean hatching brine? I haven't taken a shot at trying to raise to adult since iI've heard it isn't easy.. if you meant raise, I'd love to hear your tips and tricks. :)

You've had success raising brine, or was this meant to mean hatching brine? I haven't taken a shot at trying to raise to adult since iI've heard it isn't easy.. if you meant raise, I'd love to hear your tips and tricks. :)

Hatching baby brine and keeping them healthy for a couple days until consumed by fry. Raising them would be easy IF, (a big if) you lived on the shoreline of The Great Salt Lake or Lake Natron.

Cool. I've read of some folks who have been able to build up breeding populations. If it didn't involve too much effort, I'd consider doing that and enriching, just for a once a week live food type treat. As it is now, I hatch every couple of weeks as a.treat, and just because I enjoy watching the fish chase all over the tank lol

So much wrong information!!!! The best advice was to "seed your fuge & tank with Copepods and Amphipods". You can also add other life forms like gammarus and mysids for two.
While it's extensive, the most complete site for artemia (brine shrimp) information is in the Manual on the Production and Use of Live Food for Aquaculture. The artemia section is 4.0.
The brine shrimp will not breed in the refugium as it won't supply the necessary food they require, and, will get sucked up into the flow from the refugium to wherever it goes. They also cannot breed and survive in any tank where predation exists. You CAN however, establish a culture that will reproduce but it needs to be in it's own separate container. (I use 26g rubber maid pails)
However, waiting for reproduction will NOT satisfy the need some have for adult or juvenile brine so it's easier to hatch out and grow out whatever quantities you use, UNLESS you are going to use a very large culture for a reasonably small demand.
Brine shrimp do NOT need high salinity, and in fact, probably survive a greater range of salinity than just about any other salt water life forms.
It is INCORRECT to say that brine shrimp have little nutrition, but more correct to say they lack a suitable fatty acid profile. The protein levels of GSL produced artemia have protein levels of close to 60% and slightly above when measured in DW%, more than most other foods we feed our tanks.
When the nauplii hatch from the cysts, they still have their egg sack for a little time. A big problem though is that they don't all hatch out at the same time, and some will be hatching about the time others are near depletion of the egg sack so they really need to be enriched for use with fry.
For this reason, it's better to decap or sterilize the cysts and then hatch them out.
Once hatched, siphon them off and rinse before putting them in clean water (same s.g.) and let grow out for a day until they reach the second Instar stage where they now can feed.
At this point they can be enriched to their maximum by adding enrichment to the culture for two twelve hour stages with new water and enrichment for each of the two stages.
After one stage they will be gut loaded, but after two, the enrichment will already have begun being assimilated into the body, making them even more nutritious.
Raising brine in low density cultures can be accomplished fairly easy, but to grow them out in any meaningful density is work that usually requires some experience to get it right.
For anyone interested, you can see my write up that I have at Raising Brine Shrimp to Adult written after about the first decade of my nearly two decades of raising, feeding selling artemia.

Ray, thanks for the good info on your observations, but not all the info was wrong, merely other than your opinion. We prefer to be a littler more supportive here and respect different views as there are many ways to accomplish end goals. His question was answered very well by many with productive suggestions. Yes, brine will accommodate a wide range of salinity and best not putting them in the fuge.

Well, I don't see where I said all the information was wrong, but the fact is, that what I stated is NOT just my observations. If you read the documentation it is fact about nutrient, variation of hatch out, the need for enrichment for fry, the predation factor, salinity.
I'm sorry, but to state otherwise is NOT productive.
The "observations" part would be that low density cultures are easy but for high density culturing it is labour intensive and most need to "find the right touch" for their procedure.

Right, the thing is that you noted "so much' wrong information, and even though the information you provided is much more thorough, it only disputes one piece of information about high salinity.
i'veI've seen your page and postings on other forums. FeeLsAs like it just started off on the 'wrong foot' with this and didn't come across as intended. Stupid internet lacks tone. :)

Been in this hobby uninterrupted since the 70s. Have seen methods come and go, some better than others. Have seen what was considered to be illogical if not crazy perform excellently and what looked brilliant fail miserably. In the 50s, was friendly with a guy who commercially raised live Brine for sale as not only baby, but as adult. Greenhouse setup. Have raised baby brine for decades. First ones were to raise dwarf seahorses bought from the back page of Spiderman comic or some such. I have been members with many groups, organizations, bulletin boards and websites. Some are friendly, some get adversarial and disrespectful. Reef Frontiers is my life long favorite. Simple reason is NOT due to the quantity of in depth fact sheets, it is because the board promotes inclusion and contribution from ALL members. Some note weak or questionable info, others attempt more fact checking first. Be that as it may, this site is for fun and pleasure and although it can be hard to restrain from saying "WRONG!" especially when promoting some snake oil, and I too often fail in this regard, we always try to keep it friendly whenever possible. You offered some excellent links, and most confirmed much of what was posted. Back to topic, the new person asked if he could raise brine in a sump and how to seed it. Was told, add pods, add rock, and don't bother with Brine in there. What was "so much wrong" with that?

Regards,
An Old timer

Back