• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Brightwell Salt Bucket Update

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
As of Friday Tim and I had all but made the decision to give up on Brightwell buckets. We just didn't have a way to store pallets of Tunze and Brightwell at the same time. Then, at SEAMAX, we were approached by the distributor who stopped carrying the buckets. They agreed to bring them back so we could continue our smaller orders!! Thank goodness. It will be a couple weeks but we will finally be able to bring Brightwell buckets back, in more managable quantities.

Good to hear Cy, after spending some time at thier SeaMax booth just might have made me a convert after 25+ years of I/O salts. Keep us posted as to when you might expect to see em.

Cheers, Todd

after spending some time at thier SeaMax booth just might have made me a convert after 25+ years of I/O salts.
Cheers, Todd

What did they say that made you a convert?
I am also a 25+ year IO user.

Hey Marty, basically thier commitment to producing/manufacturing superior product. The owners integrity in standing behind it, listening to comments both in praise and constructive criticism alike. I know that most smaller manufacturers in this hobby are hobbiests as well but, Mr Brightwell seems to take it more serious than most. Like stated I've used I/O for more than 25 years with no problems but as my systems have progressed into more demanding bio-types (fully mixed reef) I believe its time to step up to what I feel is a higher quality salt... not just more expensive.

Cheers, Todd

To anyone using this salt,

So in a freshly made batch of Brightwell salt, what are the Ca and Mg numbers how do they compare to I/O salt?

To anyone using this salt,

So in a freshly made batch of Brightwell salt, what are the Ca and Mg numbers how do they compare to I/O salt?

Good question. I am transitioning over to Brightwell Salt via 20% water changes. Wondering how this will affect my dosing rates?

The Ca & Mg were my concerns. I made a noob mistake of using a Reef blend in my softie & LPS tanik and pretty much dessimated my inverts with a Mg of 1750 (ooops). I like some of the other Brightwell products I have tried. Does anyone know the comparison of the Brightwell salt mix to the IO Reef mix with regard to CA & Mg?? Oh never mind I see my answer above.... I should read everything.

Would you recommend 10%/25g water changes: 50/50 of BW and IO, or 100% BW water change for acclimating/transitioning our system. I'm concerned about the DKH increase from 8dkh to some posting 12.
Deb

Would you recommend 10%/25g water changes: 50/50 of BW and IO, or 100% BW water change for acclimating/transitioning our system. I'm concerned about the DKH increase from 8dkh to some posting 12.
Deb

I would switch using small water changes 5%-10% of all BW. I haven't heard of it mixing to 12dkh. Where are you seeing this? We usually get 9-10dkh, which should be fine at these small percentages. I would mix up a batch, test alk, and decide then. Obviously, you don't want to stress anything out too much.

I've found the best way to use brightwell is in a 50/50 mix with h2ocean. I usually mix a full 150 gal bucket of each in a 300 tower for my system and 9 times out of 10, the combination mixes at about 9.2-9.8dkh, 415-435 ca, and 1330-1365 mg. In my opinion it's pretty much spot on. (I would say I've mixed and tested well over 100 batches to back up these numbers)

Brightwell Salt 150g mix buckets are back in stock. $69.99 each. We currently have 5 left but more can be had on roughly 24 hour notice.

Back