bristleworm? question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

71lockard

Hi, when I first rec'd my LR from the dealer, I found 5-6 worms, look like pink centimeters, in the boxes. Foolishly, not knowing what they were, I put them back on the rock thinking I was getting some free goodies.

From what I have read, they are a pest but it does not sound like they pose too much of a threat to anything, But, I saw a big one. I mean a really, really big one. He had one end inside a rock the other end in another rock, the part that I could see was at least 10-11 inches long, 1/8 in. or so thick. My daughter actually screamed when she saw it.

It looks too big to me, I tried to catch it, but he got away inside a big rock hole. Now I have not seen it since. I have three peppermint shrimp, will they eat those things? I also gota pair of Tomato Clowns, how about them? Should I use one of those traps or just leave it alone? Has anyone tried using nylons with seaweed inside? I read that suggestion somewhere. Please let me know what y'all think...

Thanks!
Tony

Well the bristle worms aren't bad. They more or less eat what the fish don't and keep the bottom cleaner. But that big one you might want to get out of the tank. It may not harm what you have, but may cause equipment problems in the future. There is a thread of a guy that had one in his tank and it ended up in his intakes. It was huge too.

That is about what I have read. Small ones a relatively harmless, but the larger ones can present a problem. I am concerned that if I try the nylon trap, that I will catch the peppermint shrimp or a hermit crab on accident...

I've never had any experiences with bristle worms so I couldn't really say. Hopefully though, they are not a threat. How's that tank coming along? Hope it's going good...

Krish, great thanks! My tests have been zero for about three weeks now.
I expect the sump/fuge that you looked at for me to arrive today! Thanks again. I have 25 lbs. more LR on the way also. BTW, do you heat the water that you cure LR in? I know I need powerhead but wonder if I need heat too...

Anyway, I added the 2 clowns and a bubble tip anemone since we last spoke. They seem to be doing really, really well. Except the female will not allow the male into the anemone yet. He doesn't really seem to mind that much, I think bothers me more than him.

On the worms I read that six line wrasses may be a good predator and will eat them. I may try that, the wrasse I saw online looked really cool and I don't want to worry about losing a $10 shrimp to catch a worm.

Sounds good! I've never heard about heating water for curing LR unless it's really cold. As far as I know, the temp you keep your tank at should be the same for curing the rock (about 75-80 degrees).

I've heard about wrasses eating worms myself. If you want to get rid of them then that may be the way to go. Atleast you'll end up with a fish! Good luck on the rest of your setup. I myself am trying to get mine ready for fish...

71lockard said:
On the worms I read that six line wrasses may be a good predator and will eat them. I may try that, the wrasse I saw online looked really cool and I don't want to worry about losing a $10 shrimp to catch a worm.
I actually wouldn't suggest aquiring animals solely for this purpose. 99.9% of the worms you come across in the hobby are comepletely harmless and beneficial for the tank health. Only once the worm becomes large enough (meaning feet, not inches) that detritus and small bits of food cannot sustain it will they usually become a concern. More often this will happen in a tank set up and undisturbed for many many years. It can happen, just quite rare. Certain species of fireworm and eunicid can be a concern right out but again, not that common. Your average polychaete is something you want to keep.

Limiting populations is really quite easy. Don't overfeed the tank to the point foods fall to the sustrate/rock and be sure water flow/export is optimum to removing these unneeded food extra's.

Cheers
Steve

Krish - thanks, I have watched your tank threads with interest. The setup looks awesome to me. I look forward to seeing more!

Steve - thanks and good point. I will consider carefully before making any "live" purchases to soley solve this problem. I am going to increase my flow and keep up with good housekeeping. Everything I have read says not to worry too much - just kinda freaked me out with how big it looked.

steve-s is right, be careful. Anything that normally eats such nasties normally has an attitude to match! Pseudochromides will eat the fool out of these worms, but they can be detrimental to wimpy tankmates!

No sign of them since that first sighting. I am not going to worry too much on it. From all my research so far, it sounds like the majority of these worms can do more to help the system than anything else. If I see that really big one again, I will try using tweezers or more like meat tongs to snatch him out of there. Thanks guys!

normaly we take them out cause this is a animal we don't like in our tanks.
they don't harm but ! could be a problem if they are bigger.

a six line wrasse is a good peacefull choice they eat bristle worms as well. and not to mention a pretty fish. just a thought

Back