brocolli for tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
what kind of broc. would i use to feed a tand and how would i need to prepare it. i read that it has to be frozen and not fresh. is this true? should it be cut into pieces?

you freeze it to break down the tough fibers. use fresh if you prefer, just rinse well and either freeze and thaw before feeding or microwave then cool before feeding or blanch in boiling water-just enough to soften. youre not trying to cook it which is why freezing works best. use a small piece in a clip or banded to something suspended in the water. remove after a while if not eaten and try again next day. once they learn that this is food they will eat it greedily, but its not in the ocean so they have to learn about it. others have fed peas, spinach, and other greens. just be sure to rinse WELL to remove chemicals and other junk before feeding.

For sure, you don't want to feed the fish fresh raw veggies. You want to break the fibers down a bit for the food to be easier to digest, and then it won't plug the fish up. You can either freeze the broccoli for a week prior to using, or blanch it.

NaH2O said:
For sure, you don't want to feed the fish fresh raw veggies. You want to break the fibers down a bit for the food to be easier to digest, and then it won't plug the fish up. You can either freeze the broccoli for a week prior to using, or blanch it.

Blanch it? Holy crud we are on the cooking channel now!!

Does broccoli occur in the ocean? I don't suggest feeding it... :D

Get them some nice nori instead... :)

-Josh-:cool:

you only need to cool it till its frozen and then thaw as you need it. jetaero- no its not in the ocean but neither is flake food. it is a healthy food for them as time has shown. this isnt some new thing, just dreamed up!

I like to feed spinach to my tangs. I nuke it in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
I also use Seaweed Selects green marine algae, but it has a tendency to disolve in my tank fairly fast.
The spinach seems to last alot longer on the clip.

jetaero said:
I know it isn't new... but I still oppose un-natural foods. :)

-Josh

Awww come on.....I saw the wind blow some into the reef once....broccoli that is...

:lol:

Best,
Ilham

Oh man... haha, sadly, I saw one of a kayak with cabbages on it, tip over once too... all of them lost to sea :lol: :p

-Josh-:cool:
Elmo18 said:
Awww come on.....I saw the wind blow some into the reef once....broccoli that is...

:lol:

Best,
Ilham

i thought broccoli was natural!? i think the ingredients are close enough to what they eat in the wild. i would also go natural as much as possible i guess my definition of natural is slightly different. when a fish migrates to a new area it will start to eat different food so i see veggies as this kind of thing.

Nothing wrong with broccoli. There are many types of "tersetrial" food types that are quite nutritious. I find many have the added benefit of being less poluting due to the fact they are not processed. Believe it or not, more than just your tangs or angels will eat from the clip as well. Triggers and wrasses will chow down as well.

Here's an article of Terry's you might like to read...
http://marineaquariumadvice.com/feed_your_fish_better.html

Cheers
Steve

Here at point defiance,we feed frozen (thawed) spinich, brocolli, cucumbers, zuchini and carrot strips. Everyone seems to love it.

I grow lots of brocolli every year. What part of the brocolli should you feed the fish? Just the flower or can you feed them the stems also?

Brian

Primarily the flower part but a little stem is okay as long as you peel it. Fiberous foods are not good for them so also be very sure to blanch/freeze the veggie well enough so the fibers are broken down before feeding. Same goes for any veg you choose that is nutritionally acceptable (carb/protein/mineral etc).

http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-broccoli000000000000000000000.html

Cheers
Steve

Back