broken center brace!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jake65

Well...while cleaning the glass today I must have pressed a lil to hard and popped my center brace( it was previously cracked a couple years ago but glued togetherand was working fine). Scared the poop out of me, I sat there holding it for 5mins wondering if it was going to let go if I did:eek: Fortunatly it didnt. So anyway lucky for me that I work in the carpentry shop out here at the base and was able to get some clamps to fix it. I cut a strip of metal to use as the new brace which I will just drill and bolt on. Here are some pics in progress.:oops:

1/4 should be fine. If you had thicker I would use it. Check with IAP Brian. He was giving it away.

1/4 should be fine. If you had thicker I would use it. Check with IAP Brian. He was giving it away. I think I have some 1/2 scape if you can not find anything.

Jake, if you had a longer piece you could remove most of the old brace and connect the acrylic near the ends and remove the shadow area in the center or the tank.

That sounds like a good repair stainless screws should be fine, but I have seen some cheap stainless rust so keep a eye on it.

Check Tri-Cities Giant Nickel

Hey Jake - if you're looking for a new tank anyway...there is a 135g in the Tri-Cities with canopy...no stand...for $100 obo.

Here is the ad: 135 GAL fish tank, with custom built teak wood canopy, no stand, $100 obo. 509-460-0238. TriCities.

Just saw that ad and thought I'd pass it along.

This is a glass tank right?
w/ no center brace, not sure what all the fuss is about...

I bought a used 80 gallon reef tank where the center brace had been removed by the previous owner...never had a problem with it.

(To make matters even worse--the guy had this 80 gallon tank sitting on an 55 gallon stand--so there were 6 inches of tank sticking out un-supported behind the stand!) :eek:
He had the tank that way for 3 years--again, never had a problem with it.

Glass tanks are stronger than people give them credit for IME.
(FWIW: I bought a bigger stand when I moved the tank because I didn't like the look of an 18" tank on a 12" stand--but I've never tried to replace that center brace....)

w/ no center brace, not sure what all the fuss is about...

Well if you could have felt the front pane bow against your chest when the brace broke loose like I did you might see things a bit different.:shock: I could look from the side and see the front bowed out about 3/16". I just felt that if I didn't do something to fix it that it would blow out into my living room while I was sleeping or worse yet when I wasn't home:eek:

I was skeered:)

spandex boy spandex boy where have you gone spandex :D:lol:.
dood i really like what you did :)....even though i don't have that problem ....yet :p...i think i'm gonna do something like that for my tank :) .

Well if you could have felt the front pane bow against your chest

Whoa, Yeah...
that would have given me a lump in my throat, or felt like a slap in the face or something!:shock: I'd be skeered too!

(BTW: I don't think I said it before) It is a good looking "re-mod" even without the acrylic! :)

Well...while cleaning the glass today I must have pressed a lil to hard and popped my center brace( it was previously cracked a couple years ago but glued togetherand was working fine). Scared the poop out of me, I sat there holding it for 5mins wondering if it was going to let go if I did:eek: Fortunatly it didnt. So anyway lucky for me that I work in the carpentry shop out here at the base and was able to get some clamps to fix it. I cut a strip of metal to use as the new brace which I will just drill and bolt on. Here are some pics in progress.:oops:

I have an Oceanic 150g tank and the glass brace broke the glass brace was held together by silicone. I did not replace the brace and the tank is doing just fine. Oceanic does over build their tank. I would be scrare if it is not Oceanic.

I also have a 215 gal from Oceanic that does not have a center brace and the glass is almost the same thichness as the 150 gal

Back