Brown Algae Everywhere

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

1gideon

I put up my first saltwater tank about 2 1/2 weeks ago and am being invaded by brown algae. Some in stores have said it will run it's course but is going everywhere including on my live rock. Should I be concerned and if so what do I do???

Thanks in Advance:cool:

Welcome to RF! :D As for the brown algae, it is probably diatoms which is normal for a newly setup tank. We all have been through it so no worries. As the tank matures and cycles it will eventually subside given that a few precautionary measures are taken like using ro/di water as most regular tap water has phosphates, nitrates, silicates and so forth in it which will fuel the algae to grow so you must be sure to use the right water. Increasing circulation helps a bit as well. I wouldn't worry too much right now as your tank is still really young so just give it time to balance out. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions or concerns. Also, if you wanted to give us a break down of your setup to get some feedback on everything, that may help you in the long run as well :)

Last edited:
Thanks!!!

I have a 125 gal tank with approx. 95-100 lbs. of live rock. I am going to redo the rock and add about 60 lbs. of base. (Yes I was dumb and should have done that first. Live and learn) I have a few fish, 2 clowns, 2 yellow tailed blue damsels, one gobi and a damsel that may have to go later that came with the tank. I also to quickly added 2 condi anemones and 4 turbo snails, I know now way too fast) I also put in live sand as a sub. I am working toward a reef tank and am slowing down like molasses in the winter. I am getting ready to purchase a RO but have been told the DI is not that necessary???? Anything I should look for in the RO?? I am also looking at adding some water movement using some Mag pumps I got free through my work, by using PVC pipe and connecting them together in the back of the aquarium. Well that's where I am. Thanks for everyone's comments and help.
God Bless!!!
Gideon of Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

RO is good...RO/DI is way better!! There's a lot that RO doesn't take out and the DI will catch it in the final filtration process.
As for the Condis, I'd try and find a home for them. Their survival chances in this new of a tank are slim to none...AND they are just as likely to EAT your clowns as allow them to host. Keep in mind that these are Atlantic anemones and clowns are NOT Atlantic fish. Clowns never naturally host in Condis and Condis love to EAT fish...lol. They're pretty and cute when they're little and hosting a couple clowns but when they get big...and EAT your clowns, they aren't so cute anymore. They'll also eat your Goby...lol.
As you mentioned, slow WAY down. Take it slow, be patient and you'll have a much better reward than if you try and rush things.
You're experiencing a diatom bloom. As Krish said, we all go through it. I'm experiencing a small on in my newly set up 75 gallon and the live rock was not only cured but very well established already. Also, as Krish said, keep up on your water circulation. Keep it pretty strong. Also cut back on your lighting. (Another problem with already having an anemone in the tank.) When I set up my 29, I had a horrendous diatom bloom. I had nothing living in the tank...just sand and live rock. I got tired of looking at it while waiting for it to cycle. I finally turned the lights off for about 3 or 4 days. When I turned them back on....the tank was clear as a bell. No algae anywhere. Diatoms were gone. You won't be able to do that with an anemone in the tank. Let me know if you need some advice on plumbing the Mags. I've got a couple really good links from some people who REALLY know their stuff. One of them is a HOB closed loop system using a mag hanging off the back of the tank, drawing water out and then pushing it back in. There's a couple tricky plumbing things you need to know since Mags aren't self priming. You need to keep them primed at all times. It's really quite simple once you see these links. Let me know and I'll dig them up for you. Good luck and welcome to RF!!!

Michael

Sounds like a great plan Gideon!:) The only thing I would mention is how quickly live stock was added especially the anemone's :oops: Any traces of ammonia or nitrite, both toxic and are all a part of the intial cycle, will be really hard on them. Even the fish, although the damsels are pretty hardy, shouldn't really be exposed to the 2 either. It is typically suggested to allow the tank to cycle first where all traces of ammonia and nitrite have dropped off before introducing any livestock. Just a thought though...As for the ro/di unit, I don't personally have one. I've always just bought my ro/di water from the water plant here. There have been a few threads here about ro/di units saying if the ro or the di is needed and typically your hear it is best to have both. I'm sure the others will chime in soon. Good luck!:)

on the plumbing of the mags, I would appreciate any help. I have ideas and am very handy but not very knowledgable. again Thanks

Gideon

By the way any suggestions on a skimmer. The guy I bought it from had a Seaclone 150 attached but I am not impressed. I don't have unlimited funds but would like to get the best bang for the buck.

Thanks again
Gideon

I hate to say it, but Seaclone's are about the worst skimmer out there:oops: I've never heard a skimmer get more bad reviews than a seaclone. Do you have a sump now and if so, do you want the skimmer to be used externally or internally? That will determine what skimmer will suit you best. However, generally speaking, some popular brands are Euroreef, ASM, AquaC, Deltec and so forth, but from what I have seen, Octopus skimmers seem to be kicking a lot of butt these days and are priced really well. Here's a link to Bob's website. He's a sponsor and also an active memer that sells the Octopus skimmers that are getting really popular and I'm sure will give you great service and answer any questions you have...:)

http://www.aquariumextreme.com/

I have a sump but not large enough. I am going to build my own from a plan I saw on a DIY forum. It is 48" long and will have a refugium. I want to put the skimmer there.

Gideon!

Krish,
The Aquac Urchin pro says for tanks over 75 gallons. That's pretty general...will it be OK for my 125 reef (future reef)?

Thanks
Gideon

Krish beat me to the link I was going to offer you on the HOB closed loop using Mag pumps. I'm about to build one very similar but instead of returning through a SQWD, I'll return into a manifold system. My sump return already returns through a SQWD and I want the manifold so I can create a lil' more random flow.

You've already got the link to the HOB Closed loop....here's a link to the manifold system I'm referring to. I'll incorporate Melevs link for the Closed Loop portion and then return through the manifold you see on this link...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/short.htm

Krish,
The Aquac Urchin pro says for tanks over 75 gallons. That's pretty general...will it be OK for my 125 reef (future reef)?

Thanks
Gideon

Depends on your bio-load, but still it will probably be quite a bit under rated for your tank. You will have a 125gal tank plus a sump which adds even more volume and typically it is suggested to get a skimmer that is rated for a system slightly bigger than what you have so I'd personally upgrade because eventually you probably will need to anyways:)

Back