brown algae help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklcd

nursing eel
hey all

I was just at my lfs picking up some salt and when I got home I was looking at my tank and I see that I have some kind of brown algae all over my rock that I didn't see in any of the tanks there.

I am wondering why its there, if its bad or not and what I can do about it.

Please let me know what I can do.

thanks

I am not sure what it is but here are some pics

here is before

IMG_2536.jpg

and this is after about a week maybe a litlt more

IMG_2673.jpg

IMG_2674.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

anyone have any idea what this is I want to start putting more in my tank but until I know that this stuff will not kill coral I don`t want to. I am sure that if I take my wave maker I can blow it off the rock for sure but thats just a temp fix

Just looks like normal brown algae to me... How long has the rock been in the water?

-augustus

its been a while I would say prob 6 months or so but I am wondering what I can do to get rid of it. I have not seen a tank with this stuff in it ever

all of my levels are good as of 3 days ago I guess I will have to pick some up if you think that will help.

how many should I get

I am also not running a filter or sump or anything on my tank all I have it my skimmer so that might be something I should look at

Nothing is there to suck up the waste nutrients. Some macroalgae would help, but it doesn't look like anything to worry about. It doesn't look like there's much growing in your system any ways. Have you had brown diatom algae before, and if so is this completely different?

Sounds like the same thing that I have going on in my tank. Im just keeping a eye on it right now but it seems to be going away on its own.

Cheato in the sump. Snails wise, I like Trochus because they can flip themselves right back up if needed and they tend to live a lot longer too. I also have a "Money Cowrie" to help out.

mine has been growing for a while now and its showing no signs of going at all. I am not sure what else I can do but i guess i will throw some snails in and go from there.

Is there any other animals I can throw in there that will help star fish or a conch of some kind?

I just had another look at my tank after my MH had been on for about 6 hours and I see that there is some hair like strands growing out with air bubbles on the ends. Not sure why but thats what I am seeing.

Any thoughts?

this is going to sound stupid but i was just thinking that I have nothing on my tank for filtration. all I have running is my skimmer and a pair of wave makers. I just went in and blew off as much as I can with the wave maker and I threw in another pump with a sponge on it to try and clean up everything.

I was thinking of setting up my fluval again to see if that will help

Any ideas on this?

Last edited:
Back