Brown Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Rudyr

Hello All,

This is my first msg in the forum. I am new to marine aqua. but old in the hobby of raising fish(cishlids,discus...ect..)

My aquarium of 300Liters,marine, started almost 2weeks ago...it has 2 damsel fish with 2 corals...rocks and marine sand(small white rocks).....everything is fine.....i have a wet/dry eheim....but no skimmer....and my problem is am having brown algae problem. it is envading my tank literally.

what to do? is it because i dont have an a skimmer?

plz advise,and thanks.

Rudy

Welcome to RF, glad to have you aboard, I think you can learn a great deal here. Sounds normal to have brown algae when cycling a new marine tank, have you tested for ammonia, nitrate & nitrites? I'll look for some links that will be helpful ASAP.

Welcome to RF Rudyr! I agree with Scooter...Brown algae is normal for everyone when cycling. Not to worry.

I noticed you said your tank is 2 weeks old and has fish in it. Was the rocks, water etc. in it from a previously established tank? I know with a new setup, you should let it cycle for a few weeks before adding any fish when ammonia and nitrite have dropped off to zero indicating that cycling should be complete. Like Scooter said, check your waters parameters and see where these to sit at. Also, is the water you used in your tank ro/di? Just a few thoughts. Hope it helps...

Welcome to RF. Its usually pretty normal, to have a brown algae bloom in a new tank. If it is bothering you, feel free to shiphon it out. It would help alot if you had a skimmer and a RODI water system.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

4.gif

As stated above, algae growth is part of a new tank. How much live rock do you have in the tank, and was the live rock cured or uncured? Have you been following your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings with good test kits? That will let you know if you are done cycling. You don't have to have a skimmer for a successful marine aquarium, however, they really help in removing organics. Is the water you are using from your tap, or is it reverse osmosis/deionized water? Using RO/DI water will help alot with algae blooms, when your tap water quality is very poor. Are you performing water changes? Also, what type of corals do you have? Here are a few articles with some really good information.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria

Setting up a Marine Aquarium II

Reverse Osmosis/Deionization to Purify Tap Water for Reef Aquaria

Skimming Basics 101: Understanding your Skimmer

FAQ - Reef Frontiers

I'm not going to repeat what everyone has said. But, it does dissapear when the cycle is done. I am 4 months into the hobby and just finished learning about the cycle. I would personally get a skimmer and some test kits for the above mentioned. Give it a couple weeks and get some snails and maybe 2 or 3 hermit crabs. Otherwise don't add to your system till your tank parameters have leveled off.

Other than that, Welcome!!!!!! Be patient and good things happen :)

Thanks you guys for your replies...
My tank has live rocks, they are cured, has RO water, i added directy one damsel after 5days because i had already put a medicine that speeds up the cycle,plus had added 2 corals that are on live rock,so i thought that ought to help...so in total i have 2 damsels, and one cleaner shrimp i guess...u know the yellow and red one.....the algae doesnt bother me,but day byday everything is turning brown....i tested amonia and its 0,(on the 11th day).

and thats abt it. hey anyone know a website that export fish outside the usa also?

any ideas of a nice skimmer? i read that aquamedic skimmers are better because they have a needled umm...fan...it has holes in it,so it helps more in seperating the salt from the water..ect...

also there is an atman skimmer with a build in uv in it, so i might go for that i guess.

Back