Brown Algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

rjarnold

Frogfish Aficionado
Grr, everything was sooo nice for awhile! I had an outbreak of brown slime-ish algae about a week ago. It's on the sand, some of the rocks, and wants to take over my zoas. I don't get it - PO4 is <.01, Nitrates were <20 (lowest that particular test went), Nitrites were 0... why would I get a brown algae break out?

I have had success with diatom filters, seriously not kidding.
Also using a super fine sock might pull some out but I am not sure.
RO helps prevent adding more to the system

Wet skimming would help as would RO water changes if preventing stirring up the sand where much resides

New setup? Old setup? Typically a result of a tank not fully balanced yet or as herefishyfishy suggested, silicates in your water. Maybe test you make-up water to see if it is suitable for tank use. Ro/di is the preferred water to use where tap water is not up to standards.

I have distilled readily available (in my lab, I used a TDS meter on it awhile back and it read 0) and only use that for tank changes/top-offs. The rocks in my tank are fairly old - I've had them for about 3 years now, but the tank itself has only been running (due to a breakage in the last one) for 1.5 months.

I have a skimmer, certainly not THE BEST skimmer (aquac remora pro, with prefilter, mag3), and hope to replace it in the future, but it seems to be doing 'ok' for now.

I'm just concerned about the zoas and sps (only have two sps thankfully). The setosa looks like it's got some of the brown algae growing on it and I know that's a for-sure killer if it doesn't get resolved soon. :\

I have not had the brown algae take over my tank thankfully. It is on my sand though but clearing. I was letting it go since the tank is only about a month or so old. I do have a skimmer that came with the tank and it is clearing the crap! It has not taken over my zoas and things so maybe we don't have the same stuff. Mine I believe is overfeeding and cycling. Best of luck with the issue though and I hope you get it worked out.

Ok, I think the first order of business is to get a silica test kit, make sure that my distilled is indeed silica free. If that's the case, which I certainly hope it is, then the silica is probably leaching from the substrate. The substrate went dry for quite awhile before setting up this tank, I'm not sure that would have an effect on the leaching or not, but I can't imagine that it's from any other source. Unfortunately I do not recall the brand or anything much about the actual substrate... been too long :|

i had the same proble for the last month and now its finally resolved<thankfully! i ran my skimmer wet dumping the cup everyday,changed filters weekly, and did a 25% water change weekly and definetly use ro/di

rjarnold - just curious since you said it looks slimey.... does it ever look snot-like? Where it bubbles up and resembles snot at all?

Back