brown algae

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

karma1989

karma1989
I have a sudden growth of brown algae with bubbles on some of it. How do I get rid of this? Please Help

We are going to need a little more info to identify what type of algae we are dealing with. Can you take a picture and post it so we can see what kind it is? Then I am sure someone here has seen or delt with it.

Pictures would help diagnose and then we could give you some pointers.

Is this isolated into one spot or all over the tank? Try to suck out all the algae you can, then maybe try to put more flow at the area that has the algae. Looks like cyno (spelling).

i had the same crap, my lawnmower blennie helped it out and same with mexican turbo snails. but also put some more flow on it. it will clear up in a week or so :)

How long has it been set up the tank? If you don't have a cleaner crew in there I would highly suggest if you don't that you put one in. You can get in there and scrub it and siphon it out to help keep it under control. Are you using tap or RODI water?

I would get some snails. Additionally I would do like the above posters and add flow to the entire tank. If it comes to it softly scrubs it off of the rocks and get as much as you can out.

This is all over my tank, even on the glass. My tank has been set up for over 3 years. I use ro/di water. The only thing really would be to add more flow cause I hava great cleaner crew. Thanks All

Have you checked the TDS of your RO/DI water? How long since you did any maintenance on the unit? Sounds like diatoms which could be a sign of exhausted DI resin. You need to test the tap water TDS, RO only TDS and RO/DI TDS to troubleshot it. You might also want to test your storage/top off container TDS.
Flow will definitely help since it will reduce or eliminate dead spots and keep things in suspension.

This is all over my tank, even on the glass. My tank has been set up for over 3 years. I use ro/di water. The only thing really would be to add more flow cause I hava great cleaner crew. Thanks All

Back