Brown in Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedymichael

Arctic Fish
I have just started to add live rock in my 75 gallon tank. I am starting to get a lot of brown on the surface of the rock along with a lot of brown on all of the crushed coral. Is this typical for a new tank start up? Is there anything I can do to prevent? Thanks.

there is always an algae phase with new saltwater tanks. let us know more about your system please.
how many gallons?
how many lbs live rock?
how old is the tank?
how many and what kind of fishes do you have in it?
also what are your water parameters?

Matt

I need a lesson in water parameter's. Does anyone have any good web sites they can point me towards. Maybe a web site called "water paremeter's for dummies". The tank size is 75 gal. I have had the tank for a couple of months. I have two clown fish and 1 damsel. 100 lbs of live rock. I have had a staging tank for the live rock with a skimmer, heater, and pump so that the rock can do most of the die off. I have been slowly adding the rock to the big tank. I probably have about 20 pounds of rock in there currently. I don't know if this helps, but I also have a R/O filtration system hooked up as well.

If the brown is typical, do I just leave it alone or should I try to clean it out to minimize? Thanks.

Last edited:
it is normal, do not clean the rocks or sand. it will only cause it to spread more. do you have any snails? you need about 125-150 astrea snails in that tank and they will take care of that algae for you...

Matt

Typical diatom stage it seems. It will subside with tank maturity. :)

Also, I saw you mentioned you have an ro filter hooked up. Is it ro or is it ro/di? If just ro, then I'd try looking into an ro/di unit instead. It is recommended to use ro/di water rather than just ro for best aquarium make-up water:)

it is normal, do not clean the rocks or sand. it will only cause it to spread more. do you have any snails? you need about 125-150 astrea snails in that tank and they will take care of that algae for you...

Matt

IMO that is that hard way to remove algae because they poop and add to the problem, best way is to remove detritus before it ever becomes a problem, even with a sb you can accomplish this. Also seems like this tank is cycling so it will need time.

Diatom bloom is std in almost every new tank ... just ignore it and when your tank has finished cycling you can add a few snails which will make short work of the diatom bloom. Don't add a big cleanup crew because of a diatom bloom .. lots of snails are unecessary and will quickly starve and their decomposing bodies will likely put your tank back into cycle.

^^^ I agree...I'd just let the tank going through the cycle on it's own for now and see how it goes. Good luck!:)

Back