BRS 2 Part or Calcium Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DoubleBubble

Ok I am new here so have pity!! :hail:

I have read in numerous web postings and forums regarding which is better and why. It all it seems it depends on the individual's specific tank and its own unique requirements. I think what it boils down to me is I want something which requires the least amount of hassle and does the job. My situation (will hope to be) a 90 gallon SPS dominate tank. When I look at what's out there we have the BRS 2 part solution, which seems easy enough and can be automated with a few of their own dosers. With two auto-dosing pumps and one of their large packs of the two part solution the approximate cost is around $270. For double-triple that cost (roughly) I can get a GEO 612 Ca reactor with all of the gizmos necessary to be up and running.

When looking over how the reactor works compared to the 2 part dosing, the entire task of setup and operation is quite daunting. As in a mad scientist experiment that will inevitably go awry. I am sure it is not nearly that bad once you have the unit in front of you and your are setting it up. I guess with little experience in this matter it really would be great to hear back form some of the reefers on here to see what your take is on all of this. To 2-Part or To React?

There are pros and cons to both.

If your levels are low, a calcium reactor won't bring them up, usually. You have to get your levels up AND balanced, before putting a calcium reactor to use.

A Calcium Reactor means less work for you, BUT can crash your entire tank, IF it malfunctions. I have had that happen, though it wasn't exactly a malfunction, as much as my own stupidity. The needle valve, on my Co2 regulator was plugging. Every few days, I opened my needle valve, a little bit more, to get a bubble count. Over a period of a couple of weeks, I'd unknowingly opened the valve, completely. One day, while no one was home (of course) the plug came loose. This resulted in the entire bottle of Co2 emptying rapidly. My ph plummeted so low it couldn't be tested. The Alk, in the tank, was 28dkh. This resulted in the loss of about 99% of my SPS, 9 fish and 4 clams. Now, there are things I could have done, to prevent this. I could have used a pH controller, which would have shut off the regulator, when the pH dropped to a certain level. I could have also added a couple inline valves, to only allow so much Co2, no matter what.

Even with the use of a calcium reactor, there may be times when you need to dose, but not near as often.

My Calcium reactor is currently offline, but I will be putting it back online soon. I will be adding an inline valve, between the Co2 bottle and the reactor. I may also use a ph controller, but am not decided on that yet.

In my signature, you'll find 2 links that may be very useful to you. One of them is to Randy's 2 part DIY recipes. The other is to a Reef Chemistry Calculator, which I find invaluable.

Oh and Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!

Hi

I have a aquamedic quad doser, brs has been great on there chemical supplies. It is really quality stuff. I have never had a problem with there service. Dosing is very easy, for my 210 gallons with mostly SPS, I would go through about a gallon of solution every 2 weeks on calcium and alkalinity and 4-5 weeks for mag. Your 90 gallon would last double that. One thing I would suggest is to purchase a quality doser like the GHL stand alone Dosing unit or a liter meter. Calcium reactor is a trial and true method, initial cost is a just a bit more if you consider purchasing a quality doser, but it will be a lot cheaper than two part in the long haul. Geo is a awesome reactor, easy to dial it in. In most cases it is set it and
forget it.
Out of the two, I would still choose dosing. 1-the adjustability on each individual parameter. 2-lot less space is needed. 3-never any unwanted elements like phosphate will be added by accident.
Thus is just my opinion. Choice is ultimately yours, best of luck.

Regards

Thank you both for your replies. I was leaning towards dosing rather than reactor, for just the exact reasons you mentioned BB. I think through my readings on either or it has been the trend as of late to dose two part then the use of a full blown reactor setup. I guess with the low initial cost of dosing rather than a reactor I could choose after running 2-part for a bit. I love gizmos, so maybe going two part with that sweet GHL doser is just as cool as a GEO reactor with a CO2 tank under the hood. You're right even with BRS supplying the goods it appears that (especially if I went the GHL route for automation) 2 part will surpass the cost if my tank is demanding a relatively high amount of chemical supplementation. You guys don't think that the less expensive BRS dosers are any good?

Wow with all of this equipment to run a reef I am afraid that my girlfriend will look under the tank and see all of this insanity and really wonder if I am purposely going out of my way to potentially ruin the downstairs bonus room, which I have dubbed the "Librarium."

Bookshelves for her and a reef tank for me. Fair trade, right?

Back