BRS mixed dry rock. anyone used it?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Workaholic

Millipora Addict
Bulk reef supply currently has their mixed dry rock on sale right now for 1.79/lb which is making it very tempting to pick up for my new tank. Has anyone used this rock before and if so what did you think? were the sizes and shapes good and not difficult to aquascape with?

Thanks,
Tom

I bought 25 lbs of the BRS “Reef Saver” Dry Aquarium Eco Rock and I'm happy with it.
No pests was the major thing I was going for and that was perfect.
The sizes seemed a little uniform as in all were very close to the same size.
I wish the Pukani Dry Eco Rock had been available at that time.

Thats actually what makes up part of the mixed dry rock is fiji, pukani and reef saver. There is currently someone selling a smaller box (20-25lbs) of marco rocks for cheap so If I hear back from them I'll get the marco rocks and then get 25 or 30lbs of the mixed dry rock.

Tom

Thats actually what makes up part of the mixed dry rock is fiji, pukani and reef saver. There is currently someone selling a smaller box (20-25lbs) of marco rocks for cheap so If I hear back from them I'll get the marco rocks and then get 25 or 30lbs of the mixed dry rock.

Tom

I saw marco has a thanksgiving special with a percentage off shipping as well as 20 percent off the rock.

So I thought I would put an update here. I got the rock today. Honestly i'm not very happy with it. most of it is brown and some of the "rocks" I can even pull apart with my bare hands. There is even one piece that has what appears to be quartz in it (crystaline structures). There are however a few pieces that are a nice gray color and somewhat porous. But I only got about 15 pieces for a 50lb box. not nearly the amount I had anticipate considering its supposed to be dry. I did notice that the rock seemed rather dense and nowhere near as light as other rock i've seen. I've since sent a message to the seller telling him of what I have found, we will see what he decides to respond with (if at all). I'm hoping that he chooses to take the high road on it seeing as how he has %100 feedback and I doubt he wants to see that ruined with my negative feedback I will surely leave if it isn't fixed.

Tom

I wouldn't avoid all of it. there are other sources that I have heard very good things about such as marco rocks, bulk reef supply, tampa bay saltwater and justliverock.com All I have read great reviews about. Just in this case the quality of the rock was less than stellar. But that is the chance you take when you find a deal.

Tom

Yeah, good point. Do you know where this stuff came from? I have a buddy in Utah who keeps trying to sell me some of this stuff.

FWIW, I bought 100lbs of the "Reef Saver" dry rock from BRS and couldn't be happier. The rock was very pourous and quantity seemed very good for the amount I purchased.

I also have 80 pounds of "Reef Saver" rock in in my tank. I love the look of it and its very pourous and high quality. If I ever need more rock that is what Im going to go with again.

I also have 80 pounds of "Reef Saver" rock in in my tank. I love the look of it and its very pourous and high quality. If I ever need more rock that is what Im going to go with again.

I've got an assortment of BRS rock (10+15+15 lbs of saver, pukani and mixed) recently too. And I am very happy with it. I'd say that "saver" is the least exciting variation, it's heavier, less porous (although not bad at all) and aside from pores it's dense (I've had as hard time drilling it as concrete walls). Other two types are just great. So I used "saver" for the base and stacked other rocks on top of it.

Bulk reef supply currently has their mixed dry rock on sale right now for 1.79/lb which is making it very tempting to pick up for my new tank. Has anyone used this rock before and if so what did you think? were the sizes and shapes good and not difficult to aquascape with?

Thanks,
Tom

I bought 145 lbs of dry rock from BRS...a mix of their Pukani, Fiji and Shelf. I haven't put it into a system yet, it's currently "curing" with some smaller pieces of live rock. You're welcome to come take a look if you feel like driving up to Maple Valley.

Back