bryopsis help!!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

That is truly the worst algea I have ever met. I have never had it but know others that have been fighting it for a looong time. I have heard that some urchins will eat it, but have never seen that happen. I believe that Anthony Calfo has a remedy so you may try asking on his forum.

Thanks Steve...Yikes!! I personally would probably have to boil in a case like that. I get irritated with just hair algae and that looks a little more scary. I'm not trying to be rude or scare you or anything knowledgeseeker... That's just me with my OCD(LOL). I hope you get it all sorted out. I have no idea what to suggest as I have never seen it before tonight. I'll keep checking in on this thread to see if you get things worked out. It would be good to know for future reference if I ever need it...Good luck!

A nasty nuisance algae indeed. As with all nuisance algaes in the marine aquarium, it is due to an excessive nutrient problem. Manual extraction while reducing available nutrients is the course of action. :)

thanks for the info guys. i also read info on urchins. the amount of food put into the tank is already very small. Got rid of a hair algea problem i had as a result of build up of phosphates in dead rock i got from another hobbiest.
But this bryopsis is crazy stuff.
nitrates, nitrites are 0. ca is 400. kh is 8.5. ph is 8.3

The Bryopsis will eventually run it's course but you will need to be very diligent about manual removal and indeed keeping water quality as high as you can. It's not really one of those "shows up due to poor quality" algaes. In fact once introduced it needs very little to sustain itself so even the better run tanks can still be overwhelmed if the hobbyist relies soley on improving water quality/export. I find the most advantagous method with any algae removal is pull and syphon at the same time. If you follow along with a siphon hose while pulling out the algae, you greatly reduce the chances of further spreading it instead of allowing it to come up through the water column. There are few if any natural predators (lettuce seaslug) for this species of algae but none will actually erradicate it, simply control it's spreading further.

Cheers
Steve

I had this problem a few years ago and it was a nightmare. Check your salinitiy, and Raise your alkalinity and your ph. Take some kalkwaser in a syringe and cover it on the bryopisis like a paste, make sure it doesn't come in contact with any animals as it will burn them. Then do a water change afterwards siphoning out the dead bryopsis. Definitely get Lettuce nudibranchs. They really did an awesome job, but you need a lot of them (I used 10 in a 30 gallon). Anyways, this worked pretty well for me.

sorry, I didn't see your water parameters. They look good. Perhaps, increasing the current in your tank.

big t said:
That is truly the worst algea I have ever met. I have never had it but know others that have been fighting it for a looong time. I have heard that some urchins will eat it, but have never seen that happen. I believe that Anthony Calfo has a remedy so you may try asking on his forum.
I think you guys scare too easily. While these are things we don't want growing out of control and sucking up nutrients that we want to go to the corals, inverts, fish, etc....we need to remember something. These algeas exist in our wild reefs and in some cases serve very important roles. Since we are trying to simulate this ecosystem, it is expected that a little of this stuff will always be in our tanks. The key is maintaining a balance so that everything can thrive.

The one thing I have long marveled at on natural reefs (at least the documentaries that I have seen on TV) is that no matter the organism or critter--it has a specific function in that ecosystem. Take that organism out and you upset the whole apple cart. Surely we are learning these lessons from things that we are forcing out of existance in our natural environment.

Anne

thanks again for all the help everyone. it is greatly appreciated. i talked to my lfs earlier this week and said they will get some lettuce nudies. My flow rate is pretty high. I am using a mag 12 with 2, 1/2 inch sea swirls for a return. you guys are all great, thanks. I will work on keeping water tip top shape and pulling and syphoning

Ahh it does suck, I have had it, probibly still have some hiding around. I found two things work really well on it.
One is the addition of an Urchin, they work wonders.
The second is keeping your PH high for two to three weeks. Slowly raise your PH to 8.6 and try to maintain it thier for the above mentioned period of time, it worked well for me, Anthony, Peletta and a few others.

Mike

Here's an interesting tidbit. A friend of mine recently had some bryopsis get out of control. In the past she raised up her magnesium and it went away. She did it again this time, and the same happened. I'll see if she will post the level she took her Mg to.

NaH2O said:
Here's an interesting tidbit. A friend of mine recently had some bryopsis get out of control. In the past she raised up her magnesium and it went away. She did it again this time, and the same happened. I'll see if she will post the level she took her Mg to.
If she would post it as well, I would love to know how she did it. Didn't make that connection. How long did she keep it up?

As Nikki said I've eliminated it twice by raising my magnesium. I raised it to the max recommended limit of 1500 and it's faded away pretty quickly. Raise it slowly as per the instructions on the bottle, then maintain the level as long as needed. Don't know why it works, but it did.

Hooked said:
As Nikki said I've eliminated it twice by raising my magnesium. I raised it to the max recommended limit of 1500 and it's faded away pretty quickly. Raise it slowly as per the instructions on the bottle, then maintain the level as long as needed. Don't know why it works, but it did.
How and what product did you use to raise it and how long did you keep it up there?

Anne

You can use epson salts to raise your mag levels very easly so be careful,say a cup and a half to a gal. of ro/di [just make sure it all desolves, you can probably add even more but that should be close] and add to high flow area. The amount of the mix you add depends on your tank size, so add and test mag levels. It well stay up on its own for quite awhile, it well take quite along time to get it down again without doing big water changes which won't hurt alot.

Last edited:
Back