Bryopsis only thread

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yep its not fun to deal with and if untreated it will own your system eventually. Here is one for you. Most all Plants (bryopsis included) have an affinity to bind up and absorb metals, actually metals are essencial for the metabolisms of plants. The problem is that when plants threshold limits has been reached in terms of metals the metals become an enzyme inhibitor and enzyme inhibitors in the case of Bryopsis is just what we are looking for. SO the plan is to stuff that plant with as muich metals as we can so it reaches its threshold. Ok ok metals and corals are not such a good plan...but their is an exception...our buddy Magnesium.
Raise your mg level ( try NOT to use Mg sulfate = epson salts) to approx. 1500 to 1600 and hold it thier for about 3 months. you should see a slight increase in the plants mass initically, but then it will begin to dissolve away. And yes it will play a little havoc with your alk for the time but should be an easy fix once you are done

Hope it helps

MIke

Interesting approach Mike. But if this were a plausible way to approach Bryopsis wouldn't also in turn have the same affect on any algae?
For some of us there is absolutely no way to pull the rock out of the tank without having to tear it down, and at that can not get to all the algae in the tank due to rock structure.
SO a scientific way to approch it would be better than to spend the next 10 years of your life with your arm in the tank.
Boomer.. are you saying this is NOT a way to approach this algae?
I only ask because I too have this problem and there is no way I can pull my rock out to eliminate it.

IMHO i would just start over.....

like i said if i had to do it all over it would have bin quicker, cheaper and eazyer to just start over... (i was told to start over)

and i didnt...

i spent my year with my arm in the tank.

on the other hand i was gonna order one of thos nunbranch thingy's but it was so god damn hard to get a price on shiping i just said nvm

Well here is a shot of what I have been dealing with since December
IT was my fault for this to begin with. While we were moving into our new home I had all my rock in a temporary tank and used well water.
Algae loves well water!

algae002.jpg

This kind of algae is getting better and better. What you see is about half of what it used to be.
But now I an seeing bryopsis in the tank. It will not die for me. Some is turning pale brown but other spots is still green. Weird thing is I don't even know how it got into the tank!

I believe there is more of a chemical reason as to why this happens.
Now don't make me get Technical on your A$$ ROFL :D (must remember to not sign for any packages this month:eek: )
Yes that is true Boomer but it also screws around with the chlorophyll and then further down the road with ADT and ADP. I havent read on it for a while now but from what I remember is that it screws with the transfering on cell membranes (what you are refering to) and then digs into the Photo I and II system by degrading chlorophyll and reducing power, but again its been a while.

But if this were a plausible way to approach Bryopsis wouldn't also in turn have the same affect on any algae?
Not all algae (your hard stuff should be real happy) but yes the green stuff will take a bit of a hit. Bryopsis seems to be a little more vunerable to it.

Mike

It is to late Mojo I signed for it anyway and it is a new Dell :lol: Now I have 3 sitting in the living room on the floor. :D

At this point I am scared the Bryopsis will soon start to choke out my corals and that would be absolutley unacceptable. I am days away from tearing apart the two tanks and placing the rock in an isolated system in the dark with heavy skimming and no food. The corals will stay in the current system on eggcrate racks with no food. The fish will also be placed in an isolated system with some dried out DIY rock and heavy skimming with a "back to normal" feeding schedule. This is a last resort option but I have to think towards the future system that I will be building at my new home.

If i was to tear apart the tanks do you think I would be able to eleminate the bryopsis with this method?

Even cooking your rock for 3 months wont get rid of it, it will reappear.

Is this true? Seems to me that once the rock is completly dry everything is dead.

Like I stated before, I am willing to do whatever it takes to eliminate this problem before I move again (4-6 months). I was just hopeing I would not have to dry out almost 200lbs of very beautiful cherry picked live rock.

Thankyou all so much for helping me and other reefers with this problem your feedback is very appreciated, keep the comments rolling. I'll post current pics later tonight:)

Oh yea and it only took 4 days before I had a care package coming from you, lol

Acrodesiac just give it shot, I had enough of the killer B in m tank to fill yours and it went away.

Mike

I'm battling this horrible algae as well. Mine came in on a star polyp frag from a LFS. I didn't know what it was at the time, and just pulled it off the frag, and put the frag in the tank. Big mistake. It's covered several zoanthid colonies, but I've never lost any coral to it. I've tried all sorts of creatures in an attempt to find something that eats it. The only thing I've found that appears to eat it is lettuce sea slugs. However, they don't actually eat the algae, they just suck out the chloroplast and and leave the plant itself relatively unharmed. I'm not sure if this slows down its growth or not. I'm trying to breed lettuce sea slugs now to see if I can get a plague of them going to battle the bryopsis.

I'm in the process of boosting my Magnesium for other reasons anyway (it's at a little under 1100 now), so I'll try boosting it to the 1500-1600 range to see if that helps. I've already got a Salifert Magnesium test kit and some Kent Tech M is on the way this week. I don't know if this uses Magnesium sulfate or Magnesium chloride. I know that it contains both chlorine and sulfur, though.

Minus the bryprosis, you have a really nice looking tank. I've got it too and will inrease my magnesium to see if that helps.

Sounds like a good name for it... I will do some research but what can you tell me about it... like don't worry, be happy?

I actually don't know much about it, as I've never had it. I don't think it has a reputation for being a problem algae though. I read somewhere that it has a toxin in it that deters most herbivores from eating it, but that tangs don't mind it and eat it anyway. Do you have any tangs?

Is this true? Seems to me that once the rock is completly dry everything is dead.

I didnt mean cook as in literally "cook" in a oven. I meant cook as in shut out all light and leave in circulated and aerated tubs fo saltwater in yoru garage, 100% water changes and swishing the rock clean once a week in an effort to get the beneficial bacteria to consume as much organics and PO4 on and out of the rock as possible.

Bryopsis is the only nuisance algae ive witnessed that survives this process

Last edited:
Back