B's 8g shallow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bryan

This tank has been a work in progress for about 2-3 months now. In that time I have had the tank built , ordered all of the components needed, and just this week began construction. My goal is to have an SPS dominant setup with  zoa & ric garden down low, and house a few smaller fish. I currently have a yasha goby pistol pair in my 5.5g that will make the trip to new setup once completed, along with a few SPS & zoa pieces I currently have. Ok enough talk, I will get to what you all came to see.

Equipment

Tank - 24x10x8
Light - Aquaillumination Nano
Flow - MP10es
Filter - 20L sump/fuge
Heat - Finnex HPS 100w
Reactor - NextReef MR1 x 2 , SMR1
Control - Digital Aquatics RKE w/ SL1 , ALC, NET

Current FTS :

IMAG0195.jpg

Last edited:
My Lighting was an issue at first, the mount that came with the light was not an option for use. It made the light hang way out over the front of the tank, and has no adjustment. So I mad my own out of PVC, in doing this I was able to also run the wiring through the light rail hiding the eyesore of wires.

This is not the final setup. The PVC will all be painted black, I just wanted to test fit before final setting

IMAG0193.jpg

I used a bulkhead to mount the light rail to the stand, this allowed easy routing of all wires needed for the light

IMAG0196.jpg

Last edited:
Second order of business was plumbing. I really dis-like the hang over top plumbing (overflows, returns, skimmers, etc.) I feel it takes away from the appearance and makes the tank look cluttered. I am the same way with powerheads , I cant stand to have a tank full of beautiful coral and then see a huge powerhead hanging on the wall, and wires running all through the tank. Im not expecting everyone to run out and change their setup, just not my preference.

Tank was drilled and I installed an overflow/return kit from glass-holes.com

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0192.jpg

MP10 will be added once tank is up and running

Last edited:
Welcome to RF!! Nice work so far!! Very neat way of doing it!! Looking forward to the remainder of the build. :)

One of the coolest tanks I've ever seen was about shallow reef that was probably 2'X2' and 12" deep. Looks like you off to good start with your build. Definitely keep us updated.

Mike

Very kool little tank! I love the GH kits too! I got the 700gph one for my 20L and its awsome!

Tank is now running, felt like I would never get this far. I will be doing a tank transfer tomorrow of my 5.5g into this. Today I got my controller mounted and functional, but still have a TON of cable management to take care of. I took a quick video of the inside of the stand, but you have to break your neck to watch it.

Let me know what you think so far (Yes the video starts out black)

Back