Bubble coral & frogspawn placement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitmam01

Blondie911
These two corals are giving me a fit. I have 2-250 10K metal halides in a 90 gal tank. I've have the bubble coral (green, bubbles are grape shaped) for 2 weeks. The bubbles won't fully extend. Any ideas?? I keep reading (in books), conflicting opinions as to where they should be placed in the tank. Now, I would like a "real" persons opinion. Same with my Frogspawn. He's just kind of whimpy looking, I have had him for two months. He was thriving for the first month. My water tests are all good.

:confused:

The bubble needs low flow and medium light and lots of space. It will extend sweepers that sting other corals.

The frogspawn likes medium flow and medium light. I have mine about 3/4 the way down in my 75 under 440 watts of vho lighting and it loves it. Not sure about the bubble coral as I do not have one. Here are a couple pics of my frogspawn.

frogspawn001.jpg

frogspawn003.jpg

My bubble is in the corner about 1/3 the way up low flow and medium light during the it's about 14 inches. My frogspawn is 2/3 the way up and is 12 inches. And i have 2 250w mh 14k's

A friend has a frogspawn that simply won't expand, either. He ended up moving it to a low flow (relatively low. Still moderate. His tank is extremely high flow) area and it's puffed up nicely. What are you doing for flow in that tank?

my frogspawn has moderate flow and moderate lights tank has closed loop with 3000 dolphin

A bubble will open and close and take all kinds of shape thru the day. Sometimes it will look dead. Then be wide open.

It opens to be fed but the bubbles don't get very full, ever. Guess I'll leave it alone for a week and see what happens.

A bubble will open and close and take all kinds of shape thru the day. Sometimes it will look dead. Then be wide open.

They stay open and extended long enough to grow some food then close up to consume it.

Everytime I see a bubble in a fish store, its all...well....bubbly. Maybe my bubble is a male and my water is too cold, making his bubbles shrink, lol.

:rolleyes:

They stay open and extended long enough to grow some food then close up to consume it.

I actually keep my bubbles in my sandbed in a corner of my tank - probably 16-24 inches from the 2x250 MHs - Although, when I had it up high, it was still bubbly and happy. I think flow is the #1 thing that I have seen irritate mine, the light, not so much.

Just keep him in lower flow and medium light feed him and leave him alone. It could take weeks for you to see him all the way open. I got rid of mine because he required way to much space. he took over a 15 inch diameter area or he would kill all the other corals in its way.

My frogspawn like medium light and definitely does not like high light. Low to medium flow is where it is "happiest" -- grows fast and I regularly have to prune it.

tankmisc1.jpg

I am very envious OmarD. My hammerhead has not been growing nor has it put out one of those long stringy things that it used to have. I am not sure why.

Could you suggest something?

Back