bubbles rising from live rock, please help?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tmorford

The problem I am experienceing is a constant rising of bubbles from my live rock. The bubbles are present only when my lights are on. If I turn off one MH then only the lit side of the tank will bubble. I am assumeing that this is a product of photosynthisis but I have never seen so many bubbles, my tank looks like a freshly opened can of 7up!

I have just restarted my 72 gallon Oceanic bowfront. I am running a teco ca200 chiller, euro reef 80 shimmer, Korrallin 1502 ca reactor with a pair of 250 watt giesemann HQI MH's.

Are the bubbles stuck to the rock before they are released(cyano), or do they appear to come from holes in the rock etc?

Do the bubbles truly go away without the light on? or is it just that the light reflects on the bubbles and that makes them more visible?
I ask this because I had problems with a hang on back skimmer that put lots of bubbles in the tank, when the light was on it looked terrible but with the light off you could only see the biggest bubbles.

Tim

The bubbles are coming from the surface of the rock they do not seem to be collecting like they would on cyano but some are collecting. The bubbles are a little larger than a micro bubble in a skimmer but not as large as thoes that you would see on cyano. As for the question about not seeing the bubbles when the lights are off. The bubbles are not present until the lights have been on for about an hour. It looks just like a glass of 7up or sparkling wine!

Our tank did that as it went through the cycle, also for a while after. The patches we don't have algae on anymore don't do it.

It's not a problem as long as the algae causing them does not get out of control. The gases they produce will rise out of the system harmlessly for the most part. Usually redirecting water flow so it effectively sweep all areas of the tank will eliminate it. Bubbles like this are definately an indication of water flow either being too low or not being used effectively.

Cheers
Steve

Thank you everyone the bubbles have stopped since i got back from vacation. does this mean that when i'm not happy with something in my tank i should go on vacation?

Back