buffing out scratches on acrylic - any ideas?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bbehring

We'll l need to remove lots of scratches off a used large (3/8" thick) acrylic tank. What's the best method/product? Are there small motorized buffers (maybe for a rotozip) that are ok to use? All are on the inside view panels. Some are fairly deep. Seems like a long day in the making to buff them all out! Any help/advice is appreciated.

If their big you probibly want to start with sand paper and then work your way eventually to the creams.

Mike

Thanks for the responses.

Not sure if I want to tackle removing the scratches or not? We figured why the tank was down and empty for repairs this would be the best time.

reefreek, I'll look into the product line. Any insight on the electric buffer/pads that are used? I have a medium size electric auto car buffer. Would this work or do I need a smaller one? Anywhere else I might be able to find out info on buffing out scratches in acrylic?

mojoreef, I need to access the scratches once the tank is empty. All I know is there is a boat load of them. My buddy took no shame in deep cleaning the tank walls with old pads etc. I hadn't seen the tank in some time and when I came buy yesterday to help with him with a back siphon problem I was shocked at how tore up the view panels were. This is one reason why I'll never own an acrylic tank myself.

I know a little about it...
Me+Inside.jpg

You can use car products and a buffer. I used a drill attachment and a concrete drill. A high speed buffer would be much better though.

Start out with steel wool or sandpaper and work your way down to a fine grade buffing compound. Then top it off with some KIT SCRATCH OUT.

You can use the the KIT to clean the outside every few months and it makes it slick and resistant to water stains.

Back