bugs on sps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

There's a big thread about dosing Interceptor on Reef Central in the SPS Keepers forum. I haven't seen a similar thread on here but I may simply have missed it. Do search here and there and see what you come up with. I believe that the generally accepted rule is that one of the large pills will treat 400 gallons of water, therefore, if you've got 50 gallons you want to use 1/8th of a pill. I believe that if you can't precisely measure the dosage it's preferred to use slightly less than risk dosing too much. When you do use it be sure to run all your equipment (pumps, skimmers, filters, etc.) so that the medication completely circulates through your system. Finally, when/if you use it put your container of RO in the microwave and warm it a bit to help the Interceptor dissolve completely.

Good luck,
Mike

I had a 36 gallon with a 10 gallon sump. Took a butter knife and crushed a very small portion of the pill into powder then mixed it well with a glass of rodi water. I ran it in the entire sysytem for 6 hours then did about a 10% water change after each 6 hour dose. Right after the water change I ran carbon overnight. I tried dosing once a week for 4 weeks but they eventually came back. Found that info from a study done at some university. So the next time I dosed I tweaked it a little. I did it once a week for the first 2 weeks then once every 6 days the next 2 doses. That did the trick. I'd try to pull out all your shrimp hermits ect. as well. Good luck

Thanks all for the replys. Well this is what I did. It was just 1 big rock that all of my sps was on so,I mixed up 5 gallons of fresh saltwater,waited 24 hrs for it to mix, then did a water change,but I use the water I drained to mix the interceptor in. I put that whole rock in there let it sit for 45 min,with a k2 pointed directly at the rock. All the bugs are gone but, maybe there still lurking around in the tank elsewhere
sent from my super android machine

Like said above there are many ways but I can tell you from expierence that a dip wont cut it and removing corals in qt wont work either unless you are going to do that for 2-3 months . I have had great sucess with interceptor with minimal to no die off of hermits, crabs, and shripms, best bet is to do the math first 23 mg interceptor treats approx 300-320 gallons so find total water volume cut pill, smash pill up to dust and use approx amount needed and mix in cup with tank water for a couple hours till mostly disolved.... HERES THE IMPORTANT PART.. treat the dosage in the cup in thirds first day mix cup and pour one third of it in the tank and wait at least 24 hours up to 48 hours then another third and so on till max doseage (remove carbon and leave skimmer air inlet in the water so h20 cirulates in skimmer with no air) I do not do any unschedualed water changes but if you want to do 20% change wait at least 1-2 days after you have reached max doseage ( I do not do any unschedualed water change). NEXT wait 30 days and repeat as little is known or proven know about the life cycle of red bug and do same treatment again to get any left over bugs then do water change and replace carbon.... you may loose some pods but most live there is minimal inpact to larger crustations.. Please treat your pests as not to pass them on to others as they were passed to you

Question?
Is this what is given to your pets for Heartworms? and if so what is the different from across the counter and vet prescribed. Just wwant to know. Thx

Red bugs only infect Acropora family, such as your Acropora valida. This can include any Acropora and Millepora, since they're in the Acropora family.

I'm sure this was just a typo, but it could have major implications for someone's tank- the above statement should read "any Acropora and MONTIPORA, since they're in the Acropora family."

'cause the firecorals are actually calcified hydrozoans, and have their own family.

-coralcrab

I'm sure this was just a typo, but it could have major implications for someone's tank- the above statement should read "any Acropora and MONTIPORA, since they're in the Acropora family."
Just to make it clear.... A. millepora is a species of the Acropora Genus which is in the Acroporidae Family. While the Montipora Genus is in the Acroporidae Family it is not affected by the common red bugs referred to in the above thread.

Regards,
Kevin

Right, there certainly is a species of Acropora 'Acropora millepora', in the family Acroporidae. Montipora (also a genus in the Acroporidae) certainly does get Tegastid copepods- at least out on the reef, if they have been seen yet in the hobby, I don't know.

Meanwhile there is an entire genus Millepora, in the family Milleporidae which are the firecorals- (hydrozoans, so not really corals at all), that folks also keep in reef tanks- so the difference between an 'M' and an 'm' in this context is quite large.

-coralcrab

Hello,
The Order Milleporina, Family Milleporidae contain the corals commonly called Fire coral. The Genus Millepora of the above Family contains some species that can pack a powerful sting and leave painful blisters with only brief contact. I finally got rid of mine after several accidental contacts over the years. None of the members of this Genus have been reported to be affected by red bugs in the home aquarium.

HTH,
Kevin

Back