build me a tank .........

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KrautBurner

too "edgy" for this place
ok,
here's the deal.

I'm probably gonna pick up a 75gal tank (with built in overflow) and a stand.
that's it

I've already got a 40gal tank, sump (20gal), 700gph return pump (odyssea) skimmer (Coralife 65), 2 250w heaters, 24" PC lights, and about 70lbs of rock.
I can use the parts from my tank for initial setup on my new tank, but would like to keep this tank mostly together.

I plan on having mostly softies, LPS, a few fish, and an anemone
I try to stick with Hearty livestock

I have about $5-600 available for the build.

here's what I'm looking for

Lights (48") (I'm leaning towards a 4 bulb t5 setup, prefer to have nightlights too)

new sump tank

refugium (hang on or built into sump)

new return pump

new skimmer

substrate material

more rock

Russ

A Tek T-5 4 bulb fixture from reefgeek will run you about 330$. An octo 150 will be about 170$. A mag 7 pump is about 70$. You should be able to find a used 55g for about 50$. That is a good sized for a sump. You can build a nice refugium in it. Thats 620$, but you don't have any rock and sand. Finding stuff used will save some money, but the most important thing not to skimp. You'll end up buying stuff twice and spending more money.

well I've got a sump, I don't need a refugium right away.
I just have no idea what I want for lighting yet.

can I fit a 55g inside a 48" stand?

edit:
it looks like I'm picking up another 20+lbs of rock tomorrow

Hello;

I would build your display tank first. I grow/keep anemone on NO FL with no problem, I use 6500, 10,000, and pure Actinic bulbs.

Then gradually add options --- gives time to do further research. Your choice, but I find it hard to stare at a tank no matter how well setup without livestock. :rolleyes:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Any two variables which do not commute cannot be measured simultaneously — the more

precisely one is known, the less precisely the other can be known."

Heisenberg - "Copenhagen interpretation" of quantum mechanics.

Enjoy!

OFM

Back