Building a stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Ok, my wife bought herself a 6x2x2 glass 180. The stand is a piece of junk; we're going to have to build a new one. I've never done this before but there's a first time for everything.

What should it look like without over-building or under-building? We'd like to put a sump underneath of course.

Any pointers are appreciated.

I've learned that however you make it, use enough vertical braces to prevent sagging, this is very important to have. I'd say rather than have 4 4x4's It would be better to have 2x4 & 4 2x2's or something of that matter vertically supporting the weight, your tank may be like 6 of each rather than 4 I used as & example. On my tank I doubled up & went every 2 feet with a vertical support. My biggest mistake was removing bracing to get plumbing in there, that was a pain to redo after the fact.

With a tank that sort of size it can be made simply from 3/4" plywood with a center brace. If you feel the need to beef it up you can add 3/4" strips to the corners and I would add a 3/4" x 8" strip on the inside around the top. If you don't have any cabinet building skills and tools, then just go ahead and build a frame from 2x6" for the top, 2x4 for the bottom with a 4x4 center brace. It is very important to build it flat with no racking. The sheet that goes across the back adds a lot of the rigidity, so make sure you use one.

Here is a 3d drawing I made for you. If you want sketchup is free, and you can get it from google, I will e-mail you the drawing. It has all the dimensions that you would need inside it, and you can change things around to suit your needs.

Wow, thanks Tom, great information! Most plans I've seen have cross members on the top of the frame every 2 feet or so. Also I like the two cabinets rather than three smaller ones.

I design this one

Wow, thanks Tom, great information! Most plans I've seen have cross members on the top of the frame every 2 feet or so. Also I like the two cabinets rather than three smaller ones.

I just design it how I want it, and I deliver the plans to a carpinter it cost me 400 dlls with the canopi but is an excelent work it worth every $$

All the doos can easily destachable, I put some holes to put some 120mm fans in/out so can run my chiller inside my stand (is not recomend but is the only plase I can put it), has been great so far.

you may like some of the ideas the plumbin holes, the destachable doors (don have to be open to unhook them), the fan holes in aon the top of the canopi for the lights. It is not plans for your stand but are some extra ideas. hope you like them.

See ya

Last edited:
I actually added that earlier this morning, do you want the file?

Sorry Tom, I didn't see your reply for some reason. If you still have it I'd love it, otherwise don't worry about it.

I just design it how I want it, and I deliver the plans to a carpinter it cost me 400 dlls with the canopi but is an excelent work it worth every $$

Very nice. Not a bad price including the the wood, I'd say.

I am currently getting mine out of 2 inch square cold rolled steel. Will have it powder coated as well. Less Bracing that is vertical, More angle type bracing. Total cost? about 400.00 as well, with materials.

Hey Slick, send me an e-mail to reply to, and I will send you the file.

Tom

Back