building new 100gallon tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

newly reefer

hi me and my wife are going to start building a new reef tank and were wondering what we should be looking for, we got out of the hobby for a while do to new baby and house remodel.

so, we already have a 100 gallon undrilled glass aquarium and i am building a better stand and hood. but we are in search of new equipment and do not mind spending a little more for quality. i would really like to go with led lighting?? we would have a mixed reef mostly lps, sps, corals with some zoas and polys. im just not sure if this is the best way to go. i had a asm g3 skimmer before but i think i would like to go with an octopus this time! but which one? or is there any better choices maybe? internal pump external pump, idk, it will be plumbed for a type of closed loop but have not decided on the direction of that either yet. and the list will go on with a calcium reactor chiller.......

any input will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Well, welcome back to the hobby.

Congratulations on the baby.

Well, all new equipment needed....I am using Octopus skimmer on a couple tanks. Using a ATI Bubble master on another. I am pretty happy with them. There is a new local manufacturer, Oceans by Design. They are a sponsor here. Check them out and compare them to the others.

Oh they do LED lighting too. I am running an Acan unit, EcoTech Radions and Ecoray LED units. I have not tried Oceans By Design lights, but sounds like they are really nice.

There are a lot of people here using different lighting units and other equipment. You should be able to get many opinions. Have fun researching and building your new system. Of course you need to take us along by posting pictures. :)

+1 on oceans by design they can build u a custom filtration an lighting to your tanks needs and will be built localy at a fair price. i have 2 of ther led units over my 90g tank an love them and at a super cheap price. definitely check out there website and store and give a call nicest people you will ever meet. i will be haveing them design and build my custom plug and play sump/skimmer(puts 5k skimmers to shame)/and all the reactors bio pellet, carbon and gfo. for my 34g solana tank.

I just picked up two LED's from Ocean by Design today. Quality lighting at a good price. Also purchased their light controller so the lights ramp up in the morning and ramps down in the evening. They just got done ramping down - pretty cool.... Picked up a Octopus 150 skimmer from another store two weeks ago. Tank is till cycling for another week or so - haven't had a chance to use it but have read good reviews.

Last edited:
Back