Built a Stand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

broskie

I have never liked LFS stands. So This would be my 4th stand I have built and over the years I have found I am over building them. I use to use only 2x4's for the frame construction and wrap it in a 1/2 plywood sheet. Over the years I have cut down on materials and cost and I think this time I have perfected it. I decided I didn't want a heavy stand but I did want something that was easy to access, strong as hell, and looks like a nice piece of furniture. So far I think its came out really nice. I have put some pics below to show how it looks so far and will update as I finish tomorrow.

The stand will hold my new 57G rimless and is constructed from the following list with prices paid at Home Depot.

2"x3" for the legs and base. 3-8' foot boards needed $1.70per board =$5.10

2"x2" for the top frame and supports. 3-8' foot boards needed $1.84 =$7.36

1-8oz bottle of Tite Bond Wood water proof wood glue $2.98

L-frame brackets $0.56 piece 14 needed =$7.84

1-Box of 1-1/2" Spax Fastener screws $7.98

5.2mm Lauan board $11.28 2 needed =$22.56

This was everything used so far for a total cost of $53.82. I believe after I get the doors made, stain, and hardware I should still be under the $100 mark.

The pics should explain how it was built. The main points that make the stand extremely strong are that all the boards are glued, screwed, and frame anchored. Along with the outer sheeting it very very sturdy and strong as hell. If anyone has any questions on the build feel free to ask.

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo6.jpg

Nice work! 2X2's should hold up nicely. It's amazing how strong and solid the frame gets once you wrap it. If I ever build another stand, one thing I will do differently is paint and seal the frame before putting on the skin. Trying to paint the inside of the stand with the skin on is a total PITA.

Here is the stand I build for my 57 gallon rimless. All I used was 3/4 cherry plywood held together with glue and pocket screws, very easy and fast to put together. Yours lools like it will be very nice! Good, job.

Well today I sealed in the inside and yes it was a pain in the a**. But its done, I used an oil based Kilnz then top coated with a high gloss white. I caulked all the seams prior to sealing.

I also added 2 more supports by the edges of the front fascia for more support. I am now staining the entire outside with a Bombay mahogany gloss and will re-stain after the first coat dries and gets scuffed. Here are some pics of the front fascia and inner coat along with holes cut for cords.

As for added prices I spent $33.84 for the kilz, stain, tape, paint, brushes, and 2 pieces of R-tek foam to go under the tank once the stand is done. I am going to order the door soon so more pics will be on the way. Thanks for the kind words
photo7.jpg

photo8.jpg

photo9.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work! 2X2's should hold up nicely. It's amazing how strong and solid the frame gets once you wrap it. If I ever build another stand, one thing I will do differently is paint and seal the frame before putting on the skin. Trying to paint the inside of the stand with the skin on is a total PITA.

Agreed... this little step of taking the time to finish detail parts before assembly makes for a better quality end item.

Here is the stand I build for my 57 gallon rimless. All I used was 3/4 cherry plywood held together with glue and pocket screws, very easy and fast to put together. Yours lools like it will be very nice! Good, job.

Nicely done.

broskie, Nice stand!

I'm thinking about building a stand in a few months and researching all the different ways of building one.

I have a question about the the L brackets you used on the vertical supports. I couldn't tell from the picture, but after you laid the bottom panel in, is the L brackets still visible?

I've never used L brackets before for framing. What is the advantage of using the L brackets instead if securing the support with just screws from the bottom of the frame?

I have a question about the the L brackets you used on the vertical supports. I couldn't tell from the picture, but after you laid the bottom panel in, is the L brackets still visible?

Only a little bit of them show but after laying the floor into place. I caulked around the floor seam and the brackets then painted the entire inside with with a water resistant oil based paint. So you can hardly see them anymore unless you realy look. Everything is white inside.
I've never used L brackets before for framing. What is the advantage of using the L brackets instead if securing the support with just screws from the bottom of the frame?

There were 2 main reasons I used them.
1. They make sure the screws I am putting in a re properly spaced in every board but exact.
2. They help stabilize the vertical boards from side to side movement.

They are only $0.21 cents per bracket so I only spent a couple dollars using them and they give me more peice of mind for building strength. This is the first stand I have ever made with 2x2 and I WILL say its been my best, lightest, and has more then enough strength for a much much larger tank.

wow nice stand. i just built a stand from oak, and IMO it is great, but this is very very nice. great that you were able to stay below $100 as well.

Back