Built in undergravel removal help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

silverwolf

I have a 125Gal acrylic with a built in undergravel system and risers. What would be the best wat to remove the risers and plug the holes for the PVC piping?

Wow thats a good question, can you post some side view, top down, under up and any other photos you can think of. You will gets lots of ideas but some may be totally unworkable with out photos.

Welcome Silverwolf. Pictures would help alot. I've never seen an acrylic tank with a built in undergravel filter system. I've only ever seen add on undergravel filters. If it is attached to the tank and removing it would mean breaking it out, maybe you can add some starboard or abs plastic and lay it on top of it and seal it around the edges. From there you could add your substrate if you decide to go that way or just leave it bare bottom, but like I said, pictures would help a lot.

basicly it was drilled where the return from the sump enters threw the bottom of the tank. There are 2 3/4 inch pipes that come out from bottom at both sides of the tank. I'm wanting to run it BB but there are supports to lift the eggcrate above the piping so I'd rather get rid of the whole assemply if possible. Not sure how stong acrylic glue is and if I can just break it off.

If there are two pipes coming back up from the sump I would use them for circulation. Again a pic will help.

You could keep it in place and have the live rock rest on top of it. It would provide a great way to keep good flow under the rock and prevent detritus accumulation.

The filter plates will hold detritus, this is the main problem I see, If you can't blow water completely underneath to remove waste then this isn't a good idea. A pic would be good but these plates should be removable somehow. Post close ups & hopefully this will help.

Wow that is odd. well if those are threaded bulkheads just cut the pvc out turn out the 90s in the bulkhead. Remove and replace with new bulkheads, and thread tape a plug and install. Problem solved. It it is glued basicly find places you can cut leaving enough stright pvc to glue to and glue on a cap for every cut. Or plug it from the bottom and ignore it, stack the rock and any pvc will disapear under coraline algae quick like.

Are you sure the pipes are glued into the bulkheads? I am with the idea if they are, to try to cut them, or remove the bulkheads and install new ones and use them with some locline for added water movement.

Ok so I should try to use them for part of my CL is what I think I'm seeing instead of just capping them. Was thinking doing a faux sand bed so that might work I'll have to consider that.

I really think if the pipes are glued inot the bulkheads, you should be able to unscrew the nuts on the underside of each of them and lift the whole assembly out. Then just get 2 new bulkheads and do what ya want with them.

WOW looks like you have acrylic glued all over to support the pipe, that won't come out from the looks of it.

Looks like I would build lr over it and allow for the spray-bar to blow the waste away fron the center portions so you can vacuum it up & out, if you can do this then it should be fine. IMO though, just my opinion.

Back