Bulb recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sstainba

So I bought an electronic 250w HQI MH retrofit from hellolights.com w/ a Hamilton 14K bulb. After a single week, the bulb is dead. It won't ignite, just buzzes and makes a few sparks. I've already replaced the ballast and same thing. SO... I'm going to return the bulb and I'd like some advice on a better bulb. The bulbs I can exchange it for are as follows:

15000K XDE
14000K Phoenix
14000K Coralvue
12000K Reeflux

Can anyone tell me which would be the best? Or should I just try another Hamilton ?

In the order of preference....IMO, I'd go..

12000k Reeflux > 15000k XDE > 14000k Phoenix > 14000k Coralvue.

IMO, the Phoenix is too blue...although that varies person to person. A lot of people have had luck with the 12000k Reeflux. I tried the SE version of the 15000k XDE (XM) bulb. It was too dim with electronic ballast. I'm running 10000k XM SE Bulb now.

Others will chime in.

Best,
Ilham

I've got two 150W 10000K... this one is to give the corals a little more fluorescence. so I don't ming the blue. specifically, i'd like to know which of the bulbs is the best quality. i'm really disappointed that the hamilton only lasted a week. one of my friends says she's had similar trouble with the hamiltons...

Quality wise I would tend to say the Phoenix as well. Coralvue, Reeflux, and XM are Chinese made bulbs while Phoenix is made in Japan. The Chinese are definitely getting better at their manufacturing capability no doubt but the Japanese are still ahead in terms of build quality. Given that their price range is pretty much the same , I would pick the Phoenix hands down.

Yeah and the Hamilton is German made. A lot of people will swear by German technologies but I have my doubts being a former owner of several German autos :)

Own an Audi and VW or Mercedes and you will soon have your doubts as well :)

The Beemers are definitely nice cars no doubt but that maintenance cost is what's gonna kill ya.

I would say Ushio. They are very nice bulbs and high PAR to boot. Only thing is they are expensive also.

The Ushio 10K are pretty much what most people would decsribe as the perfect white MH bulb.

Last edited:
XM's when you get good ones tend to be whiter, Ushio's have been around probably one of the longest. I like the Reeflux 10'ks the MH technology has changed very rapidly the past few years as for aquarium usage goes. Performance wise on an HQI, other than the 65K is the XM 10K, Ushio 10K, for the most PAR that is the top three tested, I still like the reeflux 10k, slightly less PAR but nice color, you'll get more blue in them, to me that is the new perfect lamp :D LOL if there was a such thing LOL!

Back