Bulkhead Installer/Remover

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TheKraken

So I moved tanks this weekend and did all the right things like check the plumbing and use a fresh layer of foam to keep everything happy. I set up the sump last night and one of the bulkheads has a seep. The stand design with a 4X4 in the corner, small access hole, and recessed nut make it too difficult to tighten by hand. I will be trying a pair of channel locks but on reef central there is a cool socket in PVC.

Does anyone have a trick or a jig I could borrow?

The bulkhead is the smaller one from the all glass mega flow kit.

I generally snug bulkheads down by hand and maybe a 1/4 turn more using channel lock pliers. Too tight is the same as too loose; either one will leak. Try backing it off, tightening hand tight, and recheck for leaks.

Mike

Really to tight will cause a seep too? ok, this might be my problem that has worried me for quite some time. I'll remember that thanks. If you leave a bulkhead to tight will it cause a problem down the road? Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm out, good luck with the setup!

Over tightening causes the seal to bunch up due to friction. Lube the seal and its less of a concern.

Don

From what I'm reading, the bulkhead is already installed, on a tank that's already full of water. But access to the bulkhead is limited, due to it being in a small hole, drilled in the stand. The OP seems to be looking for a tool, capable of fitting in this small hole, to tighten the bulkhead. It seems the OP is asking about some type of "socket," which from description, sounds like a giant socket, that would have a cut out, to fit around the PVC, yet still fit on the bulkhead. I'm not familiar with any such tool, yet that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I found the channel locks only to have the seep heal. The overflow was dry for a few days and the PVC was putting some sideways pressure.

I found lots of other leaks though this afternoon and redid the return. I cracked the glass on the sump around the pump bulkhead so it looks like i will be building a sump sooner than later!

If anyone needs advice on a similar topic look up a "basin wrench" to make the tight turn or heating/forming or notching PVC to make a socket wrench.

-Paul

Back