Bulkhead Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
i need to order some different bulkheads for my 125g.. it came with bulkheads with hose barbs on the bottom... i want to "hard plumb" the pipes into the bulkheads.....the intake came w/ a 1" bulkhead and the return came with 2 different ones that i could pic from...there is the 3/4 universal and then there is a regular 3/4 bulkhead... does anyone know what the universal bulkhead is for????:confused: i need to go ahead and get them ordered soon!!

Hey Ronj, I used rainbow life guard bulkheads before,but there are a lot of different kinds. sounds like you have some oceanic type? If you are hard line you need slip to slip.

yeah, they came with my Oceanic tank!!! i have looked at several places..i have only found double threaded and slip-threaded..

Check this out if you go to marine Depot and search for bulkheads and they should pop up,I don't know if that link worked.

I belive the slip thread ones are the ones you need, one side will be for hard plumbing and the threaded for a strainer.

If the holes are big enough I'd get the HD bulkheads but those are probably regular type. You can get the slip & threaded or slip or all threads. If you want to glue the bottom you need a slip on the bottom but you may want threaded inside the overflow if your making a stand pipe, If it is necessary to take it apart for cleaning or whatever.

the stand pipes came with the tank.....they connect to a slip bulkhead fitting...so i don't need threads on that side...i don't know if i need the threads on the bottom side that connects to the sump....the instructions that came with the standpipe assembly said not to glue any part of the standpipe..it just slips into the bulkhead..i still need to find a slip-slip connecting bulkhead..i may have to go with the slip-thread bulkhead

Just get a thread to slip adpter at HD to go on a thread slip Bulk head if thats all you can find. There like less than a dollar.

I like using threaded adapters when I can because it can be removed, In some cases it is a good idea but I don't like going overboard with them. When threading PVC I use Teflon tape, wrap it counterclockwise at least 5 good wraps over the threads & make them up as much as I can if the threaded connection is exposed to leakage externally. In the overflow this isn't as critical, so using slips in the overflow box you can undo it for cleaning. Now on the bottom Yes I'd glue an adapter like silverwolf said, cheap & a very solid connection.

i ended up ordering the bulkheads from Marinedepot..i paid for 2day shipping..will i need a bulkhead wrench, or is there a good substitute... i want it to be a good connection..i am very paranoid!

That's pretty much a general rule with plumbing. Make it just tight enough not to leak. I'm not a plumber, but I've seen friends etc complain about plumbing leaks only to have me losen it up a little to resolve the problem. :)

Yep! Hand tighten and if you want, you can do a 1/16 - 1/8 turn with a wrench (not much at all) to get a good seal. That's how I did mine and so far no leaks:)

Yep, I learned that after I buried them with a strap wrench LOL!
I went a little more snug than hand tight & called it good!

ok, good..i really didn't want to wait a few more days because of needing a wrench!

Back