Butterfly Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattleycrue76

Aquajunkie
Well My tank seems to have become a mojano and aipasia farm and I'm getting REALLY sick of it so I'm thinking of going the butterfly route.

Is there any particular species of butterflies that will be likely to eat both and once it has (hopefully) eaten all the nuisance anemones will it eat regular fish food?

Not sure if any will eat both. Copperbandeds seem to be often good at aptasia. Never found any reliable majano killer besides elbow grease as in Joes, Kalk, boiling water.
Not really a responsible act to buy a fish just as a cure for another problem. Now if you really like CB butterflys and want to keep and care for it...

Look up Kleins butterfly, there was a great article in a free reef mag about them .

They are kinda ugly and cheap, but bulletproof unlike the CBB.

I'm sure you can find something on them .

I know a place that has them in stock:p

Pretty risky buying a fish to cure your problem. I would just kill a handfull a day until they are all gone. I mean unless you are just completely overrun :(

One thing on the CBB. Some of them will and some will not fix your problem. Some clean the tank up and then starve to death. ..

Thanks Reedman and herefishyfishy for your replies. I did a little research and decided to go with the double saddleback.

And I don't really think my motive for buying a fish will really matter to the fish as long as I provide it with the proper surrounding, care, food, husbandry etc.;)

Oh and by the way, I made absolutely sure that the fish was eating pepared foods before buying it. If it doesn't work I will end up with a cool looking fish with lots of personality. Not really a big downside IMO

Let us know how its working out for ya. I dont have the clams to buy a butterfly but there is one Ive always liked to try.

Good luck

Back