Button polyps in sump ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bouzouki

I have a refuge that is 6 inches deep with sand and macro with a 95 watt 6500k blub on it. I have 3 air stones in there. I run it 24 hours a day and have a medium sized brown button polyp that Has seeded all over my tank and like the look of it in the sump. Is it bad to light a button polyp 24 hours with this light?

Yes i put them in there. It is a rock covered in large brown button polyps. The rock is so covered that anything i put it on gets the polyps on it. so far it is doing fine in the sump. (24 hours so far.)

Are you sure it's a button polyp and not an aiptasia?

no i don't have an anwser as of yet. See it says i put them in the sump 24 hours ago. They were growing like crazy in the tank spreading all over the tank. Now they are in the sump with 6 inches of water and the 95 watt light. I guess time will tell.......

Only a test would tell you for sure. However, it's probably not a good idea as my hypothesis.

Photosynthesis is a two-part process. Different things happen in the dark then happen in the light. With that said, buttons don't really have a lot of zooxanthellae as they mostly feed off DOM.

thank you. I will post my findings and keep an eye on it.
Only a test would tell you for sure. However, it's probably not a good idea as my hypothesis.

Photosynthesis is a two-part process. Different things happen in the dark then happen in the light. With that said, buttons don't really have a lot of zooxanthellae as they mostly feed off DOM.

i agree with curt i think it will be like anything else because they are almost completely filter feeders. why do you want them in the sump though you could give it away or something seems kind of a waste?

Do you know what these "button polyps" are? Are they zoanthids? If so, Zoanthids are actually quite dependent on their symbiotic zooxanthellae, maybe even more so than a lot of other corals, so do need adequate lighting. However, just like any other life form, I believe it'd do best with a "day, night" cycle.

Back