Buying a new camera today input on a good one?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
Looking for something that will take good pictures of the tank of course i.e good color and close ups, and something that is easy to use, in the price range of $200-$300 we will probably buy used.

Any suggestions on a good camera?

Really i dont know much about cameras or really what to look for so give me a list of things to look for in a camera and i will write a list and take it with me when i go. It is kinda last min so i dont think i will have time to read up befor we go lol so ifigured i would ask you guys since i have seen some really nice pictures on here.

thanks for the link we ended up getting the wrong camera its a canon powershot sx10 is which you cant change the lenses out so i think in a couple months we will just get a rebel and i will take some classes untill then im stuch trying to figure this one out. lol

if any one knows this camera well pm me! im camera dumb. lol

I own a Rebel Xt and am very pleased with it. The new Rebel Xs and Xsi are out, and also very nice. For me, I won't upgrade until able to upgrade to a Canon 40D. A DSLR, having the ability of interchangable lenses is vastly different from using a Point and Shoot camera. There's also quite a learning curve involved with them. However, there's also quite an expense involved with DSLR cameras. You'll soon find that the "kit" lens is not very adequate for the shots we all love to take. The cost of a DSLR is in the lenses, much more so than in the camera body.

There are a lot of great photos on here, that were taken with quality Point and Shoot cameras. If someone is unfamiliar with DSLR and doesn't have the patients to learn to use them, sometimes a point and shoot is a better option.

If you're going to invest in a DSLR, Cannon or Nikon are the way to go. As for quality, lens availability etc, I think they're both pretty similar. They'll both take the very best shots, depending on the photographer. It really boils down to trying them both out, seeing which feels better in your hands, which one has control features that are easily accessed by you, etc. If you do plan to go with a DSLR, you need to realize that you'll soon be wanting to spend more on a single lens than you spent for the entire camera kit.

I am using the Rebel XTI. Its a great camera but I like Nikon better. I use to have the Nikon D40. The reason I like the Nikon better is that it has on board editing on your camera. I don't know if the new Canon Rebel XS or XSI has on borad editing. To me the on board editing feature is neat. I don't have to down load the pics to the computer to zoom in on a certain section of the pic. Either camera Brand you choose you can't go wrong. Both Canon and Nikon has high standards and a proven brand for amatures and professionals alike. Also too the camera body will be the cheaper part of photograghy hobby. You think The reef hobby is expensive get ready for sticker shock on how much a good lense will set you back. What most use is some sort of macro lens for the close up detailed shots you see. I myself don't own a macro lens yet because the one I want (Sigma 150mm macro) is ALOT of money. Maybe one day.

Back