bye bye sand bed, hello rock bed. Opinions?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Should be putting sand and such in in an hour or so...tank is just about full enough, and salt has been mixing since last night.

well we started plumbing and filling today....

filling/ adding sand went ok..

022-2.jpg

The plumbing not so well. I had everything all planned out (LOL) but no... the tape measure lied... I needed 1/4" more to tighten the bulkhead....

020-4.jpg

021-4.jpg

after some ranting, swearing, a beer and a smoke, I did the only rational solution to the problem...

the heck with the wall...

001-4.jpg

easy access...

002-4.jpg

underneath the stand...

004-1.jpg

and in to the sump...

003-2.jpg

I had the cryptic zone light on so I could see what I was doing.... feather dusters anyone...

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

leak test is tommorrow...........

until then have a cute ferret pic.

024-2.jpg

Well, plumbing is tested, bulkheads repeatedly sworn at, but everything looks to be a go. It would be alot clearer if I'd stop screwing around with the sand bed.

Running with 1 powerhead and a canister filter to pull out some of the fine grains. I'll give it a few days before I turn it on to my main system to let it cycle a bit. The sand had been through heck and back. Will be fed by a 600 gph 1262 to let the plants suck out the yuck in the water. Fairly low flow and a DSB once I get the rest out of my main tank

The eggcrate is for the mangroves, currently sitting in a styrofoam box.. lighting is 8 80w giessman freshwater planted tank bulbs. Looks like my old fixture might have a balast out though

002-5.jpg

no idea who dug that... didn't think I had a pistol or mantis..

001-5.jpg

some guys survived all the sand bed abuse.

004-2.jpg

been trying on and off 1/2 the day to Id this guy...

007-2.jpg

And lastly, my cheato section. will be sunlit, and maybe supplimented. Level will be higher when running on the main system

003-3.jpg

Last edited:
Its just a high gloss external house paint I had kicking around from when I painted my house. Still need to do the inside of it.

well its up and running on the main system...

011-6.jpg

017-5.jpg

014-3.jpg

I was feeling nice and even caught the coral banded out of the sump where the eel lives...

018-4.jpg

029.jpg

and I finally mounted all my frags and got the 'old west saloon' out of the tank...

019-2.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

and a couple new additions.

024-1.jpg

023-2.jpg

and a random FTS.... in 2 parts.. I have got to redo that return line one of these days... drives me nuts everytime I see it in a pic.

031-1.jpg

030-3.jpg

I love clean white sand, I hate it when it is blown all over the tank. I hope my new closed loop design will resolve this issue.

I'm actually slowly getting rid of almost all of it and replacing it with rock. I'm hoping that will solve mine.

mostly I hate scratching my tank...

someday I'm going to figure out the trick to getting cool pics like I always see on these forums.... was trying to get a good shot of the shrimp because I hadn't really seen him in a couple years. always lived in my sumps...

001-6.jpg

002-6.jpg

003-4.jpg

Back