Ca Reactor output/effluent controls

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SaltyTemple

I've been reading through old threads to get advice on this issue and it seems that the best advice is to use a peri pump to suck the effluent out of the reactor to prevent effluent blocks but I have to ask regardless, how do you control your effluent?

I've used a pinch valve on our output tube and it is very difficult to tune and quickly clogs or stops - not very efficent for running a reactor if you ask me!

I've also heard of gate valves - anyone have a picture of one so that I can look into those?

Your advice and experience is appreciated!

Hd sells a valve in the sprinkler section for under a buck. They work fine but will clog in time like any other valve. Clogging is just the nature of the beast. The high ca, mg and alk are always going to precip. The peri pump can't really clog but of course is expensive.

Don

Can also use an aqua-lifter, cheap to replace when they wear out

I agree, I have five of them around with two in constant use. When one stops working a rebuilt one goes to work then I rebuild the broken for $3 bucks... thats what the kit cost's... cant beat them.

An aqualifter pumps to fast so you still have the same issues with the valve plugging. You can however convert an aqualifter to a precise doser with a interval timer capable of 1 second adjustments.

Don

I solved the problem on mine by putting an inline filter on the effluent output line, before the valve. I made it (the filter) out of different sizes of tubing and used a piece of that black pump input filter material. It keeps larger pieces from getting to the valve.

thanks for all of your idea guys, I'm going to see what works - it's always helpful to hear how others have solved the age old problems :)

Back