Ca ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

your correct it is a lot. but the consumption rate is essentially the same. the Alk and Ca are dripped into to totally separate areas of the sump. and if i turn down the dosing pumps my levels drop and keep dropping

your correct it is a lot. but the consumption rate is essentially the same. the Alk and Ca are dripped into to totally separate areas of the sump. and if i turn down the dosing pumps my levels drop and keep dropping

If you didnt have such bad precip dont you think your consuption rate would be lower.:) If its on your pumps, its not doing your clams any good.

Don

If you didnt have such bad precip dont you think your consuption rate would be lower.:) If its on your pumps, its not doing your clams any good.

Don

but im not getting the precipitation now since i dropped my Ca and the consumption is essentially the same. when you go from 1500ml each per day to 1450ml each per day i dont consider that much of a change. now i know your going to say it enough to stop the precipitation , but ive tried slowing the rate of the pumps before at the higher Ca level and Ca and Alk would just fall, but now at 385Ca i can hold the levels without the precipitation

but im not getting the precipitation now since i dropped my Ca and the consumption is essentially the same. when you go from 1500ml each per day to 1450ml each per day i dont consider that much of a change. now i know your going to say it enough to stop the precipitation , but ive tried slowing the rate of the pumps before at the higher Ca level and Ca and Alk would just fall, but now at 385Ca i can hold the levels without the precipitation

I wouldnt say that at all. I'd say find the cause. I run 425-450 with no precip issues. There is something causing it, you should be able to run a tank at nsw without having to clean pumps every two weeks.:)

Don

do you check mg, sg, alk, ph, ca all at the same time? it sounds like something is low or missing causing an unnatural precip at what would be considered normal ca levels. what salt are you using and how much water changes/how often? if your actually using that much ca then trace elements are sure to be getting depleted as well. are you using any buffer or other reactor?

i would say try instant ocean/and/or oceanic. io is lo ca but higher alk and oceanic is opposite. i would do some extensive testing on my own to eliminate the possibility of your salt being part of the problem if you want to continue using it.

im just guessing and trying to give ideas on what to check for. the reason i say oceanic is because of your high ca usage which could decrease the amount of additive you need to dose. i think if you could get a fair balance in the new saltwater to begin with and maybe a little high on ca it would be less likely to precip than adding/dosing later. im not pushing or knocking any brand of salt just know my experience with the levels in a few brands and i mix a couple to achieve a good balance for me. i just hope with all the discussion here someone will figure it out or give you an idea that solves the problem.

Back