ammo=0
ph=7.87-7.9
cal=500+
dkh\alk=11.8\4.23
phos=0.03
mag=1290
salintiy=1.025
temp=78-79
All corals are open besides a finger lether that has been closed up for a couple weeks, If my cal and alk are high why not my ph? I know to do water changes to bring down but how to bring ph up with out adding buffer everyday. I already dose kalk through diy kalkreactor with a ph controller but it is stop by a float switch so it won't dilute the water.

If you see something wrong with my setup please let me know and how to fix.
Thanks Joe

I would advise against the use of buffers. They create radical changes in pH which is detrimental to your inhabitants. There is no need for buffers as you are already dosing a 'balanced' additive (Kalk). I would cut back on the Kalk dosing for a day or two and let the Alk and Ca fall on their own. Your Alk really isn't that high so no worries there. The thing to watch for with a high calcium level is precipitation. You want to get that down to under 450ppm preferably. Once the Alk and Ca are within the recommended range, go back to dosing your Kalk.

Low pH is dealt with in other ways. Most likely there is a buildup of CO2 in your house causing the low pH. Open some windows to elimiate this buildup. Here's a great article that should help. ;)

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

Also, what salt mix do you use?

Just for reference:
Alkalinity 7-11dkh or 2.5-4meq/L
Calcium 380-450
Magnesium 1250-1350

Last edited:
*moved to the chem forum*

What time of day in your photoperiod did you test your pH? What test kits are you using? What does your freshly made salt mix test at?

I have a ACII that keeps up with the ph and all other test are done with salifert,I'm using Bio-Sea salt, will test my fresh saltwater tonite.

Thanks Joe

Ok you will showm us tests.

I will have to agree with drummer. It appears you have a very low Alk and Ca++ demand but are having serious CO2 issues. Kalk is the solution but not at the high Alk and Ca++ levels you have. They need to come down.

Joe - just out of curiousity, did you try recalibrating your pH probe? When was the last time it was calibrated?

I installed a new probe last month, Test results to come in an hour or two.

I tested fresh saltwater made sunday,
ph=8.0
cal=440
mag=1380
dkh\alk=11.8-4023
temp=81

Yup, those are fine but I would stop all buffers, kalk or any other sup's to see how those parameters come down in the next day or two. You need to see what the daily demand is for Alk and calcium. Let the calcium drop to 410-420 and see what he Alk is at.

Test results are in=
sal=1.025
ph=7.7
cal=500
mag=1350
dkh\alk=10.6-3.77
I did the test at 7:30pm so thats why my ph is low but its lower than usual.I will try to pump some fresh air in from outside, But now what do I need to do?
Boomer you said to let cal fall to 410-420, after it drops how do I measure daily demand?

Test results are in=
sal=1.025
ph=7.7
cal=500
mag=1350
dkh\alk=10.6-3.77
I did the test at 7:30pm so thats why my ph is low but its lower than usual.I will try to pump some fresh air in from outside, But now what do I need to do?
Boomer you said to let cal fall to 410-420, after it drops how do I measure daily demand?

Chart you parameters for a week or two then just do the math. Use the chemistry calculators to determine proper dosage. Keep charting as long as you have the tank and it will become very simple second nature.

Don

Dejavu!!! for me!!!

i would rather for my cal to be at the level yours is at than what mine is

my cal is like 300 or 280 or something like that and im having a heck of a time getting it raised

i think you should be fine as long as you listen to these guys, and keep up on your param checks

if i was you like dawn and drummer and all them said i would let it drop watch how much it drops daily and try to add back in kalk what it drops a day and you should be fine

i myself am gonna invest in a cal reactor, just as soon as i study on how to use 1, and the ups and the downs of the addition.

Good luck, and i wouldnt worry myself if i was you!!!

Thanks for words of adivce, I was thinking of making a cal reactor but don't know if I realy need one, all I have are LPS and softies, but if it helps the stabilty of the parms I'm all for it.

Good luck with your battle.

Joe

Thanks for words of adivce, I was thinking of making a cal reactor but don't know if I realy need one, all I have are LPS and softies, but if it helps the stabilty of the parms I'm all for it.

Good luck with your battle.

Joe

I'd stay far away from a carx until you get a good understanding of reef chemistry. To easy for a beginner to nuke their tank.

Don

so whats the magic number for calc and alk? some books have different suggestions. i run my calcium about 400ppm and my alk at 8.6dkh. what are you guys shootin for?

Back