Calc/Mag/Alk/PH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Adam Black

More cow bell
Just got done testing tonight and got these numbers.
Calc 100-110
Alk 1.2-1.6
Mag 600-680 This one was a really high to probably between 650-680
And Ph on my Ac jr is 8.04

Never really test my tank but it has a ton of Sps. None of these numbers are acceptable. Question is how do I bring them up? Which ones first? How fast? I have the Bulk reef supply 2 part solution rec. 1. I don't really no how stong this stuff is. Has a calculator but doesn't really make sense to me..
Here a link to the 2 part calculator..
http://www.2partcalculator.com/
I have a total volume of about 85g.

please tell me what you think. And how I should raise the levels.

Adam

First off, what test kits are you using? Is Alk measured in dKH or meql? These numbers are so low, I'd question the accuracy of your test kit? Just doing normal water changes should keep your Ca above 300.

As for how to fix, in my signature is a link to Randy's 3 part DIY supplements, as well as a link to what I'd say is a better reef calculator. The Calculator will actually tell you what Zone you are in...and then go on to give you tips on how you ended up in that zone and how to fix it.

Here's the numbers I'd recommend as a goal.

Ca 380-450
Alk 9-10 dKH
Mg 1200-1300 (Mg should be 3 times your Ca. Example: If Ca is 400, Mg should be 400X3=1200

Start of by deciding if you want to balance your Ca to your Alk or vice-versa. Once you put your current numbers and target numbers into the calculator, it will tell you where you should be to be balanced. As an example, if you put in your current Alk number and then put in your target number, along with what supplement you're using....then below, you click Submit Alk. It will open a new page telling you how much to ad to increase your Alk to your target...and will also tell you what Ca numbers will balance with your target Alk.

Once you put all your current numbers in, click on the graph. It will show you a red box with a blue dot that represents NSW. It will also show two + signs. Once you put in your current and target numbers, click anywhere on the graph and the + signs will move. One indicates your current numbers and one indicates your target numbers. Below the graph, it'll explain what zone you're in, why and how to fix it.

First off, what test kits are you using? Is Alk measured in dKH or meql? These numbers are so low, I'd question the accuracy of your test kit? Just doing normal water changes should keep your Ca above 300.

As for how to fix, in my signature is a link to Randy's 3 part DIY supplements, as well as a link to what I'd say is a better reef calculator. The Calculator will actually tell you what Zone you are in...and then go on to give you tips on how you ended up in that zone and how to fix it.

Here's the numbers I'd recommend as a goal.

Ca 380-450
Alk 9-10 dKH
Mg 1200-1300 (Mg should be 3 times your Ca. Example: If Ca is 400, Mg should be 400X3=1200

Start of by deciding if you want to balance your Ca to your Alk or vice-versa. Once you put your current numbers and target numbers into the calculator, it will tell you where you should be to be balanced. As an example, if you put in your current Alk number and then put in your target number, along with what supplement you're using....then below, you click Submit Alk. It will open a new page telling you how much to ad to increase your Alk to your target...and will also tell you what Ca numbers will balance with your target Alk.

Once you put all your current numbers in, click on the graph. It will show you a red box with a blue dot that represents NSW. It will also show two + signs. Once you put in your current and target numbers, click anywhere on the graph and the + signs will move. One indicates your current numbers and one indicates your target numbers. Below the graph, it'll explain what zone you're in, why and how to fix it.

Hey thanks I'll check that calculator out. I'm going to re test tonight to see what I get. The test kit is red sea pro. Just got them monday.

Id get an accurate test kit or at least have the water tested by a lfs. I wouldnt dose any thing. Those numbers are so low that water changes will bring them up very quick and safe. With those numbers Id be real supprised any sps would be doing well at all. If the sps look good and are growing then the numbers cant be right.

Don

dude, your math has to be wrong...you were testing at 390ca the other day! are you reading the directions correctly?

Just tested again and got these same numbers. Anyone using red sea pro test kits that can maybe help to see if I'm using the right amount of stuff. I don't really get how much are in the needles. Calcium and Alkalinity have a longer needle so is there 0.2 in those needles. Mag has a smaller needle and it looks like there might only be 0.1. I never used test kits. Maybe I should keep doing what works.

any updates?? if you are unsure about your test kit i would only do a water change if you feel it is ness. is your salanity right? how are your corals?

any updates?? if you are unsure about your test kit i would only do a water change if you feel it is ness. is your salanity right? how are your corals?

i was reading my test kits wrong:eek:. Here's the numbers I got tonight.
Are these numbers a little more realistic?
Calc 450
Mag 1120
Alk 2.0

What do you think and how should I bring the mag and calc up? Water change is next weekend.

If you using IO it will not bring the mag up, so you need to dose. Your alk, if thats mg/l its low 2.0*2.8= 5.6 dkh so use baking soda and the calculator. Ca++ is fine as is.

Don

Adam, yes, Hamford CA. Also lived in Hamford WA...lol. In CA, I was pretty young but remember playing in the canal and fishing out long strings of frog eggs...lol. Let's see, there was a bowling alley behind us, on the other side of some field...lol. This woulda been in the early to mid 70s.

As for your tank. Glad to hear you've figured out the problem!! With Ca of 450, you'll want your Alk around 5.4 mg/l and Mg around 1350.

Adam, yes, Hamford CA. Also lived in Hamford WA...lol. In CA, I was pretty young but remember playing in the canal and fishing out long strings of frog eggs...lol. Let's see, there was a bowling alley behind us, on the other side of some field...lol. This woulda been in the early to mid 70s.

As for your tank. Glad to hear you've figured out the problem!! With Ca of 450, you'll want your Alk around 5.4 mg/l and Mg around 1350.

Bowling alley still running strong! I use to play in that same canal. I decided after school when I was in kindergarden to play in there after school for a few hours before actually going home. Got the crap beat out of me! Do you remember the street you lived on?

Would it be ok for me to just wait till my calcium came down to 400-440 and bring my mag up to 1200-1280. Don't know if keeping my calcium levels at 450 is beneficial so maybe I'll let it drop down with out adding anything and just keep dosing alk and mag.:)

IMO, the best way is to figure out EITHER what Ca or Alk level you want. Figure out what numbers balance from that...and go from there. For instance, in my 75, I have a hard time getting my Alk above 10dkH, which is an acceptably high number, so I use that as my target and balance my Ca and Mg from there. Other people find a target Ca number and balance Alk and Mg from there.

Just bump up alk for now and let Ca++ fall on its own. You need to get alk up and keep it up if youexpect to keep SPS.

Don

Back