calcium question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

I was just wondering if calcium in the water decrease over a period of time, because at first my calcium level was at 800 ppm, but after a 10 gallon water change, it drop down to 600ppm. after one day, the calcium level drop to 560. I was recommend by kevin to do a water change with Instance Ocean salt. After the water change, my carbonate hardness increase by 2 at 14dkh. But after 2 days the carbonate hardness drop down to 13dkh. but the calcium level is still at 560 even without any dosing of the 2 part solution? i need some tip to reduce my calcium to 440-480ppm. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Milez

Keep doing water changes. IO is low in ca and alk runs a little high but thats ok just keep going.

Don

I didn't realize 800ppm calcium was even possible in saltwater! That is not much below saturated kalkwasser.

I'm sure he was adding Calcium Choride, which has no bicarb, carb or hydroxides. If the Omega value is high, like a 6, you can get to to like + 850 ppm Ca++ if the pH is in the low 8.00's and Alk is low. Theoretically speaking of course :)

after few water change, the calcium level have drop from 850 to 500 or 480, i will attempt to do another water change to reduce the calcium level to 440 if possible. For the alk, i believe is at 11.0. still trying to control the water condition to fit my sps coral. i notice, majority of the coral that have STN and RTN are usually the acropora that are small branch compare to the thicker branch. usually the rare coloration too. i'll continue update on the status

Back