Calcium Reactor does not raise ALK????

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SeaMonster

Is that correct? its doing a great job of raising Calcium but not putting a dent in ALK. Media: ARM complete reactor media. Reactor: life reef 2

Thank you

Is that correct? its doing a great job of raising Calcium but not putting a dent in ALK. Media: ARM complete reactor media. Reactor: life reef 2

Thank you

My understanding is that you want your reactor to maintain your ALK and CA. Get you reactor dialed in so that the effulent is around at a minimum of 6.5, and watch for your CA and AlK to stabalize. Then raise your each to your desired levels with additives.

This site might provide some help: http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html

I agree with Surf buddy. Calcium reactors are not meant to raise Ca/Alk. They are intended to maintain Ca/alk levels once they have been set my other means (separate ca and alk additives).

Raising Ca but not alk? I've never heard of that. You aren't using Oceanic salt are you? The last bucket I had (2007) was mixing to ~550 calcium and was way low on alk.

Ziggy, if I had to choose my favorite all time article on reef keeping, I might have to choose that one. Surf, one calculator...Jose Dieck's hands down.

Good question Herefishyfishy. Low magnesium? Alk will drop 1dkh per 20ppm calcium. It's usually a lot easier to determine a low mag situation by watching alkalinity drop.

Perhaps nitrates and other DOS could also be pushing it back.
When my clogged BM skimmer was doing poorly, nothing except a ton of daily kalkwasser would keep the alk at a decent level. Was running a very large CaRx.

Just measure the alk of the reactor. If its low there is something wrong with the reactor or method. Somewhere around 3 times the target should be easy for most decent reactors. Also check for carbonate precip on your equipment and sump.

Don

As Don mentioned, something's not adding up. Do you know the pH of the reactor's effluent?

Also:
Calcium reactors are not meant to raise Ca/Alk. They are intended to maintain Ca/alk levels once they have been set my other means (separate ca and alk additives).
Reactors can, in fact, raise Ca/Alk levels. That's exactly what they're built to do: evenly dose calcium/alkalinity. By simply turning it up (more CO2, more flow), you will raise those levels.

I dont but I'm going to check everything and post of answers tonight. thanks you guys are great :)

As Don mentioned, something's not adding up. Do you know the pH of the reactor's effluent?

Also:

Reactors can, in fact, raise Ca/Alk levels. That's exactly what they're built to do: evenly dose calcium/alkalinity. By simply turning it up (more CO2, more flow), you will raise those levels.

Its a dangerous habit to get into and shouldnt be done until you know your reactor well. I like to equate turning on your rodi and forgetting to shut it off. Instead of a flood of water you have a flood of alk and a dead tank.

Don

You're quite right, they can raise Ca/Alk levels. Personnally, I've never recommended using a reactor in this manner though. For example...to get from say 6 dKH to 8 dKH. It's easier to dump a few teaspoons of an alkalinity additive in rather than tweak the settings on a reactor up then back down to remedy the situation over the course of a week or few weeks.

This is especially so in the case of the OP who has stated he has a Ca/alk imbalance. The reactor will do nothing to fix that. I'm recommended that he/she tweaks to where he wants to be by other means then focusses his/her attention to determining the reactor numbers (BPM, DPM and hence, pH) needed to keep things steady.

The first thing I would like to see at the moment would be the OP's Ca, alk, and mag readings coupled with a short description of where they were last week and the week before. I remember my first and only low mag experience...I went through a period where I felt like I had a continuously declining alk but a relatively steady calcium. That was before I realized that 1dKH = 20ppm calcium. In my case, I was dosing alk a few times a week and calcium maybe once a week. I was SURE it had something to due strictly with my alkalinity....only to find out that my mag was well below 1000.

Then I would like to see the OP's effluent readings coming out of the reactor for Ca, alk, and pH coupled with the BPM and DPM.

***you beat me to it Donw!***

Then I would like to see the OP's effluent readings coming out of the reactor for Ca, alk, and pH coupled with the BPM and DPM.

***you beat me to it Donw!***

Id skip measuring the carx effluent ca. We know if the alk is where it should be the ca wil be in line. No sense in burning up whole a test kit.:)

Don

Be careful with arm media, it dissolves at 7 and will turn to a mush ball when you go to low.

Don

Good question Herefishyfishy. Low magnesium? Alk will drop 1dkh per 20ppm calcium. It's usually a lot easier to determine a low mag situation by watching alkalinity drop.

Oops. I just realized that I've been stating this wrong. It's 1 meq/L (2.8 dKH) per 20 ppm calcium.

Back