Calcium Reactor Help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefadict

Hi, I need some help with my calcium reactor. I have a DIY CR with ARM for my 673 gal. tank. I have like 15 hard corals, both sps and lps. Im starting with the corals now. How many bubbles per minute and ml/min I have to set the Calcium Reactor to start?

whoa big tank - I do mine at 30 bubbles per minute. I'd say that's a good starting point, you can always go up from there.

Welcome to RF!! Hope you enjoy it here! I've never had a calcium reactor, but here's a bump for ya. Hope you get sorted out soon:)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers Reefadict!!!

For a tank your size, starting bubble rate between 30-45 per minute is probably a good start.

I have found using the following calculator has helped me greatly... so hopefully it will help you as well.

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html

Again, welcome to Reef Frontiers, and hope to hear more from you in the future.

I guess I go a little heaver on the Co2 than the others. I use about 1 bubble per second and keep the water flow out of the reactor at the same rate. So far no issues.

With arm you need to watch the effluent ph. I'd start low and add a little each day until you hit the proper ph. Just starting off where other folks do may cause a melt down. Since your reactor is diy there is no point of reference.

Don

Ok, with arm what pH I had to have at the effluent? Because some people tell me that it have to be below 6.9 others below 6.7... I'm a little confused with that.

I have always heard that the pH in your Calcium Reactor chamber (I have a dual chamber... and the 2nd chamber buffers back UP my pH) should be between 6.5 and 6.7, to melt(?) the media. Because I have a dedicated pH probe on my 1st chamber... that is where I'm testing, and shooting for that pH range. I haven't tested the pH out of the 2nd stage... but I would guess it is higher, possiblly around that 6.9 range some have talked to you about???

For the most part different medias have different ph requirements. Arm will start to dissolve at just under 7.

Don

I'm testing my effluent pH with a Salifert test kit, it's at 6.7, In the main tank I have a Neptune Aqua Controller III and the pH reads 8.20 - 8.23

Try using the link I provided above... and getting your Calcium Reactor dialed in now.

Just so you understand though... I've been setting up my Calcium Reactor now for about a month. hehehe I'm way closer to where it needs to be than when I started, but I'm still doing small changes. Of course, as everything grows in our tank, changes are always needed.

Then again... I enjoy all the little projects... so perhaps I've just made setting my Calc-Reactor one of those projects! ;)

Back