Calcium reactor media, Which to use?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kensn

I would like everyones opion on which media is best to use in a calcium reactor. If you need to know any info from me please ask. I haven't too much of a clue on this one.

Ken

depends on the reactor - which reactor are you planning to use? most reactors use ARM media but some reactors use the larger media.

I picked up a K2R. I was thinking ARM, but wanted some input from people who use reactors.

Ken

I run ARM.. Always have been happy so no reason to try anything else.. Been using ARM for about 2yrs now..

James

I used ARM when I ran my old reactor. I have a Sharaun Jetstream 1 now and use the large media.

The only issue I ran into with ARM was once the sponge in my reactor got a little plugged with media dust and it slowed down the flow. CO2 built up and turned the media into mush. Besides that it ran fine....

Tagging along on this one....

matt - what kind of pH does the reactor run at with the larger media?

i run mine about 6.8 or 6.9. i'm barely driving this reactor. i'm running a reactor that is rated for 400 gallon tank on a 55 gallon tank though! :) i bought it so it would work on my new tank which will be a 110 gallon.

With ARM I run my First chamber of the reactor at 6.5 and the second chamber at 6.7... SO far I have never had an issue with it melting down or anything...

James

I always rinsed the ARM media before I placed it in the reactor. I found that it had a lot of dust that could clog your reactor. I'm not sure if others do this or not but I did and it saved me quite a few headaches.

Yeah I have Never rinsed mine yet... never had a need... I have been using it out of the 50lb bag that I dumped into a 5g bucket so maybe thats why...

James

not sure who does....i always ordered mine online as i found it about a 1/3 of the cost of fish stores in the area. if you are in a hurry then you may call around otherwise i'd just order it online. custom aquatics offers 5% off to RF members and is on the W. Coast so you usually get your package in 2 or 3 days.

Matt thanks for the tip. I ordered ARM from CA today along with a couple of test kits I was getting low on.

Ken

Matt are you using the media that sharuan has?? looks like filings?? if so can you discribe what it looks and feels like??

Mike

mojoreef said:
Matt are you using the media that sharuan has?? looks like filings?? if so can you discribe what it looks and feels like??

Hey Mike,

The Sharuan media looks more like little fingers just like SPS growth. Here is a picture I took of the media before I placed it in the reactor. Each piece is from 1" to almost 2" long probably and feels just like a piece of dead coral.

Matt

Back