Calcium Reactor pH

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

meitzler

fraggy
I have a Geo Calcium reactor. I am experiencing significant pH swings in the tank between 7.6 and 8.0 during the end of the lighting period. What should the internal pH of the calcium reactor be (I use 6.5)? Clams are thriving, but the extensions on many of my SPS are not what they should be. I am using an AC3 to collect the pH data and the pH probes have been calibrated and set side by side to confirm consistent data.

Again, what should the internal pH be for a Calcium reactor using the Shuran style of media and what pH swings are normal.

6.5 is about right for the schuran media. 7.8 and up is where I like to see ph. You mentioned having your probes side by side. How close together are they? Is there a way to get your carx effluent into your skimmer? Even right next to the pump inlet.

Don

Here is some more help Meitzler and Frank

A Guide to Using Calcium Reactors
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.htm

Calcium Reactor setup calculator (CaCO3/CO2 reactors)
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/reactor.html

It is not common Frank to have a internal pH of 7, more like Don mentioned, 6.5 - 6.8

I am experiencing significant pH swings in the tank between 7.6 and 8.0 during the end of the lighting period.

You mean Meitzler it is 7.6 in the mroing and 8.0 before lights out correct ? That is more from the increase in CO2 at night. Try a kalk drip at night or a reverse lighting refugium.

Last edited:
Yes, I can put the carx output into the skimmer input. I did not do so due the high calcium content that could build up in the skimmer pump. But, a good approach to make sure the Co2 does not escape into the tank.

Thanks so much.

Can I ask the same question on the ideal internal PH of a reactor using Korrallin media (big pellets)? Sorry about using your thread.

Can I ask the same question on the ideal internal PH of a reactor using Korrallin media (big pellets)? Sorry about using your thread.

Start about 6.5 /6.8 Arm is the only one I know of that will start at 7.0.

Don

Start about 6.5 /6.8 Arm is the only one I know of that will start at 7.0.

Don

Thanks! I have it at 6.5 now but, is there ever a need to lower the PH under 6.5? Typically my calcium stays around 385ppm but, I would like for it to be higher around 420ppm. Is this a matter of changing media or adjusting my reactor. I'm just confused I guess because some ppl say their reactor is able to sustain higher calcium values.

Last edited:
Why hasn't there been a sticky about Calcium reactors yet???

I see these kinds of questions a lot.
Does a person just need to take the time to write one up?

Sorry don't mean to step on toes but a sticky would help people a LOT about reactors.

Back