Calcium too high?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sytnom

Idaho Reef Adict
What are the adverse effects of calcium being too high? Also, if it's bad, how do you lower it?
Thanks,
Monty

Don't know the answer to your question, but welcome to RF! The only way to lower Ca that I know of is to do water changes (or add a couple hundred clams :) ).

Have a few extra clams? :D
It measures about 600 ~ 620. Thanks for the welcome.
I just found this forum this morning. I usually frequent aqualinkwebforum. This forum looks a little more used.
Monty

There are members of this board from all over, but the majority are from the Puget Sound area. Most questions are answered very quickly.

Welcome to RF!! About the calcium levels...Yeah, that is a bit high. People usually shoot for about 425 give or take a few. What are you supplementing in your tank for calcium? As for what effects, I'm not too sure. Not the smartest when it comes to these things:p but I would imagine it isn't good for pumps and stuff with ll that extra calcium "caked" up on them. Hopefully someone else will chime in an give you a more concrete answer. Best of luck and I hope you enjoy it here:)

I don't add anything. I am just getting up and going on my 2nd tank. The first tank got sold last december. I have my 55 sump set up. I made my own rocks (portland cement, crushed oyster shells, sand) and I suspect that is where my calcium is coming from. I did cure the rocks for 8 weeks in FW and then they sat dry for 2 months. My sump has been up for about 3 weeks. I have some blade caulerpa thriving in one of the chambers. I have crushed oyster shells in one of the chambers, and live sand in the other two chambers. for pics, you can visit here: http://aqualinkwebforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3556085422/m/2831015822
I will be getting my display on the 22nd of July (hopefully) and then I will move most of the stuff into the display from the sump.

Anyway, thanks for the responses on high calcium, somebody let me know if there are any issues with it.
Later, Monty

You need to make sure that your ca and Alk/kh is in balance and bring it down slowly with water changes. This will helphttp://www.reefnerds.com/ChemPlot/ChemPlot.html.

What is your ph and mg?

Once you get your ca and alk level in balance and to your desired levels mg helps maintain the balance. What is your ALK level?

I don't remember. I'll have to check. :oops:

Any thoughts on negative effects? (other than calcium build up on equipment?)

Thanks,Monty

High calcium will drive down your alkalinity as well as magnesium. Once magnesium is driven out of balance it can be extremely hard to re-gain that balance even with supplementation.

Low alk and magnesium will inhibit the calcification process stunting the growth and health of all Stoney based critters.

Some salt mixes such as Oceanic are known to have extremely high CA levels, as well. I think regular weekly water changes with a balanced salt sucha as Instant Ocean is going to be your ticket. IO salt actually has a lower CA level so that will help you out..

High(er) Ca will cause stress to animals that deposit it in any major way. Excessive Ca will actually cause the flesh of the animal to lose adhesion with the skelaton. This is especially true with bi-valves.

They don't need anything above 400 ppm anyway. Anything higher and all your doing doing is wsting it. Heavy coralline and/or precip with equipment.

Cheers
Steve

Are you sure your CA reading is correct? You said you do not dose anything? What kind of salt do you use? With Ca that high I would think you would have calcium precipitation.

I use instant ocean salt. I added reef builder(?) - the additive for alk, because I had a huge drop when it first started. I'll re-test tonight. I use (salifert - I think) for the test kit. It is a 3-part drop testing with a test tube, so I feel it should be fairly accurate. When I use it, the solution is supposed to turn purple, so I add drops until it does. Anyway, I use well water, maybe I should test my water to see if it is super high. I'd be suprised if it were that high though. Anyway, I'll retest and post the results. Thanks everybody...
Monty

sytnom said:
I use instant ocean salt. I added reef builder(?) - the additive for alk, because I had a huge drop when it first started. I'll re-test tonight. I use (salifert - I think) for the test kit. It is a 3-part drop testing with a test tube, so I feel it should be fairly accurate. When I use it, the solution is supposed to turn purple, so I add drops until it does. Anyway, I use well water, maybe I should test my water to see if it is super high. I'd be suprised if it were that high though. Anyway, I'll retest and post the results. Thanks everybody...
Monty

Its very possible your well water has numerous "unwanteds". If possible, I would recommend you use an RO unit... if not an RO/DI unit for your water. They can be purchased relatively inexpensively on E-Bay. I think you would also find many other aspects of your tank as you continue along will benifit from the "cleaner" water an RO unit will provide it.

No, I mean if alk and Mg are low, Ca can climb without precipitating.

Magnesium keeps alkalinity stable against Ca. It does nothing to control Ca. It's all a balancing act really.

Cheers
Steve

I would ditch your home made rock or let it cure a lot longer or you are going to have a very difficult time keeping levels balanced.

I added the reef builder per the directions on the bottle and my calcium levels went up to 600 too. I had to back down and use that stuff very sparingly. I always measured good alkalinity and pH though? I couldn't figure it out and now just add occasionally in moderation based on analysis. I never saw any adverse reaction, but I don't really know what to look for either?
-chris

Back