Calcium too high ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cal levels/low

I'm using an KR2 cal. reactor rated at 450gal. capacity,my tank is 6mos. old and I'm begining to see more and more purp. coralline growing,even though my calcium level always test below optium 300-320,I have lots of frags and a few small colonies of acro pulchra ,I just added kalk water to the r/o make-up to bring it up and turned off the ca reactor for now.

I'm using an KR2 cal. reactor rated at 450gal. capacity,my tank is 6mos. old and I'm begining to see more and more purp. coralline growing,even though my calcium level always test below optium 300-320,I have lots of frags and a few small colonies of acro pulchra ,I just added kalk water to the r/o make-up to bring it up and turned off the ca reactor for now.
Tank 265 gal. w/75 gal. sump w/phenum in the sump.

Have stopped all additives. Planning to get a sea urchin to control my matting algae problem. But need to do some research here first before getting it.

Nope mate, using tap water. I'm planning to invest in a household water filtration system soon.

So if one were to stop all additives and simply rely on water changes what does one do when the amount of Ca used by the tank (well established) becomes too much to handle in water changes alone, or requires too frequent water changes.

Personally (and I know Boomer is going to kill me for this but...) I use Seachem Reef Salt with good results. I monitor the tank and maintain my Alk and Ca with Seachem Reef Builder and Reef Adv. Ca (respectively)...but my tank stays in balance AND I use very little of each on a weekly basis...like 25ish% of each products recommendations.

My goal was and is to monitor and maintain though...monitoring to understand my system and its needs and then maintain based on those needs. This requires patience and a lot of testing (I keep a tank log with test results, additives added, etc. and review it regualrly) though...I think where a lot of people go astray is by reading/adding according to product recommendations rather than moving at a slower pace to monitor and understand changes in the system with additives.

I plan to move to a Ca reactor soon as I like the idea of having something diailed in that in theory should keep the tank more dialed "24/7" versus letting the parameter dip and then adding supplements on a schedule to maintain try and maintain balanced levels...I don't need a Ca reactor lecture right now though...all set there. :)

I like the idea of having something diailed in that in theory should keep the tank more dialed "24/7" versus letting the parameter dip and then adding supplements on a schedule to maintain try and maintain balanced levels...I don't need a Ca reactor lecture right now though...all set there. :)

You dont need a carx to do this. Instead of weekly dosing, daily will keep the tank stable. Since your dosing 25% of the recommended amounts which is extremely low to begin its going to be awhile before you need to worry about it.

Don

knowcrap

Boomer is going to kill me for this

Yes, if you get a package in the mail and its tickin', it's not a clock from your mother :D

Well after all that my calcium is now 400 and alkalinity is at 7. Lots better. Didn't find RC for the moment (have them on order) but I've been using IO.

Well NOW I am really concerned about the sailfert cali test.. Human error seems to be a big thing when learning.

Once again, temp. is not that important?
Thank you in advance

Back