calcium woes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i would actually bet on a lack of another element and calcium is filling that void reading lower. how long has tank been running for?

excellent video especially the red sea part That answers ? about salt mix thxs. Now I still dont kno how to raise calc properly and I have watched numerous vids and read numerous threads everyone has diff opinions

Set up nine weeks transfered from 75 gal to 180 with acquiring mor substrate and such

Should I change from Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals or another brand?

There is nothing wrong with IO and the numbers you posted are just fine for growing corals. I've been using it for six years and have no intent to change any time soon. Your corals will be fine and grow plenty fast if you keep these numbers stable.

So what do you say senji is my calc at 380 because of all the coraline or no

Your Ca is 380 because that is what it mixes up at with IO at a SG of 1.026, your dkh of 11 is pretty standard as well. I grow mainly SPS with these numbers and quit trying to chase the magic numbers many years ago. STABILITY is the key to success

I was using Instant Ocean and was having to dose 2 part and still couldn't get my calcium up. I switched to Reef Crystals and haven't had to dose at all since and my corals seem to respond better.

quick question, since I don't plan on growing crazy amount of corals, can i get by with just IO without dosing? I mean, I want to get some nice corals and all but I won't be covering every inch with corals like some of you

It depends on what type of corals you want to have, LPS, SPS, softies, etc. all have different needs. IO is good for just fish but your corals will probably suffer somewhat and have a slow growth rate if they grow at all if you don't dose. Your calcium and alkalinity are very important to the corals lives. I am finding this out as I learn this hobby and if you switch to a reef salt like Reef Crystals, a product of Instant Ocean and comparable in price, slightly higher, about $5.00, from Fosters and Smith. You may still have to dose alkalinity however. From what I understand, the alkalinity elevates the pH, which buffers your calcium which maintains its proper level. I am just learning this slowly but there are a lot of people who know more than I.

okay, good to know. I'm thinking of getting those 2 part dosing recipes 1 from BRS. Group buy is going on right now for the gallon kit $60...what do you guys think of this stuff? I'm pretty new to saltwater. currently running a FOWLR

I don't know that you would really need to dose on a FOWLR, except maybe to keep your live rock dosed, but if you do your water changes on a regular basis, I don't think you would really need to dose. If you have no corals, I'm not sure you need to add any more elements to your water chemistry. You just need to make regular water changes and test your parameters. Maybe someone with more knowledge can imput their information.

Yeah, i don't need it now. Just saying that's what I run now. However, I question if I will need it once I start putting in some corals. I hear people buy red sea salt and not have to dose. However, they're $55/bucket. Reef is having a sale of $30/bucket of IO and I could just dose with BRS stuff. Again, if I'm going to be just buying a few corals, wonder if I can just use IO and skip dosing....anyone ran their tanks like this?

I don't think so. IO won't give you the levels that you need for corals, the levels are too low. It doesn't matter whether you have 1 coral, 5 corals or 20 corals, they need their requirements and IO won't give those to them without dosing. Usually calcium, alkalinity (carbonate hardness) and other levels are too low for the corals to properly live happy in your aquarium. IO would be okay for fish only, but not for corals. I used IO when I first started and my corals just weren't happy, when I dosed I still couldn't get my calcium over 380 ppt but since I switched to Reef Crystals my calcium is 500 ppt. I have noticed that my alkalinity is low and I have to dose that.

Husker, I dont want to argue. But your wrong, IO will give you levels you can grow corals with right out of the bucket.

Take a look at my 29G tank. Mainly SPS, no dosing, no skimmer, T-5 lighting. Quite a bit of growth in one year with IO and inconsistant WC's. I never once tested parameters, except salinity with a swing arm hydrometer.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f70/tridos-little-29g-60095/

I have to agree with Duane (trido) here. STABILITY, STABILITY, STABILTY is the key. IMO your parameters are just fine for growing corals as long as they are kept stable. There are actually write ups out there saying high calcium can actually stunt sps growth.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes, stability is the key. On my current 65G I'm still using IO right out of the bucket and have kalk hooked to my ATO. The kalk is used to keep my numbers stable, not to raise them. As my corals grow larger, I will be forced to either hook up a Calcium reactor or dose a two part daily because it would be too expensive to just use WC's to keep things consistent and the kalk is dependent on avaporation. Sooner or later is wont keep up.

Years ago, a friend had a large tank and twins on the way. For many months he didnt have time to take care of his tank and I promised to do some maintenance for him as a gift. His levels were soo extremely low I was amazed his corals were alive. Levels like Ca 320 and dkh of 5. Normally he kept them at Ca 450 and dkh 11. The slow gradual drop let the corals adjust and they were still thriving. Growing better than mine in fact.

The point is, coral will grow well in a wide variety of parameters. IMO its more important to make changes slowly and keep things stable. Not making constant adjustments trying to chase the magic numbers.

Last edited:
I do think stability is the key, however I was just talking about my own experience, when I was only on IO my corals didn't do as well as they are now with the Reef Crystals. I saw how beautiful your tank was Trido, and I am convinced that the less you mess with it, the better the stability of the tank. Thanks again for all of your help, i will get the zapper back to you as soon as I can, but it may be a couple of weeks. When I come back I hope to bring my son so he can make me a light and controller like yours. He will be so happy when I give him another project to work on. Thanks again, I enjoyed myself. Say hi to Simon for me.

wow, you guys are awesome. Okay, will stick with IO for now since it's on sale for $30. Will work my way from there but I guess it makes sense that coral can adapt so stability is key. My impression so far in this hobby is that can chase that "perfect" number but at what cost? This hobby is too darn expensive to start out with

Back