Calcum Reactors vs. Reverse Flow Calcium Reactors

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Monkey

I'm just curious to get everyone's thoughts/pros and cons on Cal. Reactors vs. Reverse Flow Calcium Reactors. Are there really any differences performance wise?

Definatly. Pushing water up through the media provides much better results and less headaches.

Don

So the Reverse Flow is the desired option for you Don? I'm looking at buying my first Cal Reactor and I'm not overly knowledgable about them. I'm looking at a Reverse Flow Reactor and just wanted to double check that it's not inferior.

The reverse flow has the benefit of not compacting the media down into the bottom of the chamber. It also has the benefit of sucking up all the air bubbles that are bound to collect at the top, then re-chopping them into the media again.

My reactor is standard downflow, and it works just fine. However, if I had the option, I'd probably have gone with a reverse flow. Just because.

So the Reverse Flow is the desired option for you Don? I'm looking at buying my first Cal Reactor and I'm not overly knowledgable about them. I'm looking at a Reverse Flow Reactor and just wanted to double check that it's not inferior.

I would recommend the reverse flow over the standard. I turned my DIY reactor into a reverse flow after only four months for most of the reasons listed above. They are know for increased efficiency and performance. Not the other way arouund

Thanks guys,

I'm definately going to order that reverse flow reactor today. As always, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

cblair, welcome to Reef Frontiers!

To answer your question, no, a second chamber will still be beneficial in a reverse flow reactor. The second chamber isn't a requirement of ANY reactor, it just makes any reactor far more effective. Many people run all different kinds of single chamber reactors.

Thanks. Im Thinking of adding a nano reactor to my sps dominated 30g cube. Would like to minimize excess CO2 entering tank. So maybe a dual chamber would be best.

Yes, that's it exactly. The second chamber helps "scrub off" some of the excess CO2 and raise the pH a little more before entering back into the tank.

Thanks. Im Thinking of adding a nano reactor to my sps dominated 30g cube. Would like to minimize excess CO2 entering tank. So maybe a dual chamber would be best.

If you've got a skimmer for your nano, run your effluent to the skimmer. That will scrub off any excess CO2 as well....wont need a second chamber.

Nick

Back